Vitamins and minerals

Lost when it comes to horse feed, forage and supplements? What works for your horse? Join the discussion
Ecb+Doodlebug

Vitamins and minerals

Postby Ecb+Doodlebug » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Can anyone think of any fun ways to get a few more minerals into my horses diet?
She sometimes paws the ground in her field and licks the earth - i'm guessing that's to get a few more supplements into her. She's turned out all year and i'm trying a few shop-bought herbs in her feed, like peppermint, garlic, even a pinch of aniseed every now and then - well, i used to, then i ran out and have forgotten ever since...
i'm just thinking of fun ways without resorting to buying a huge tub of supplements for a professional showjumper, not a ploddy pleasure horse, so anything is appreciated. x

thelwellchronicles

Re: Vitamins and minerals

Postby thelwellchronicles » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:17 pm

Himalayan rock salt! They are a beautiful pink colour and have sodium, copper, magnesium and calcium. They last for ages and ages and they're really hard so horses can't bite/chew them easily. Also, you are definitely right, licking the ground is a sign of mineral, most commonly sodium deficiency. You could also look at some herbal options. I feed rosehip granules, largely for vitamin c content and anti-inflammatory properties but they also contain calcium, magnesium, silica, phosphorous and copper. Some others you could try include horsetail (the herb!), which contains large amounts of selenium and also potassium, phosphorous, iron, manganese, calcium and magnesium; and Sheep Sorrel which contains sulphur and copper. On a final note, a horse that is allowed frequent access to good quality pasture will absorb a good whack of its minerals from this.

Hope thats been of some use to you!

crunchycarrots
The SECOND number please: 99

Re: Vitamins and minerals

Postby crunchycarrots » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:06 pm

We have been feeding our boy some round mineral and herb packed treats, which is a fun way to get supplements into him. Think they are called equibites. They can be added to feed or we take them out to the field with us to give him a 'top up' and he loves them.
You could also find one of those mineral licks that you can hang up, which would provide entertainment for the horse too.

Return to “Feed, forage and supplements”