Balancers

Lost when it comes to horse feed, forage and supplements? What works for your horse? Join the discussion
vicky2525
The SECOND number please: 99

Balancers

Postby vicky2525 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:53 am

What are balancers for? My 14.2 hh pony is ridden every day and lives out on grass,and gets a 6kg of hay a day. I don't feed him any hard feed not sure if I should try a balancer.
Thanks
:) :D

Apple24

Re: Balancers

Postby Apple24 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:45 pm

A balancer is designed to ensure your horse gets all the vitamins and minerals they need to make sure there diet is balanced they also contain pro-biopics to ensure a happy digestive system. It's like us taking a multivitamin tablet and drinking a Yakult. I feed a veteran balancer to my two boys who are out on just grass this summer, I never use to use one when they are younger but do now do they get a joint supplement in it. I must admit the difference since I started is amazing though I use horse and pony direct balancer. If you use a multivitamin lick, it is the same as using a balancer. I hope this helps!

vicky2525

Postby vicky2525 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:14 pm

Thank you very much this was helpful :D

crunchycarrots

Postby crunchycarrots » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:54 pm

I've been looking into balancers for our boy as he is getting older. He has been out of work for a while due to an injury (and he's getting on a bit now) but he is out on grass all the time and only gets hay and a small feed when he comes in for a few hours. We never fed a balancer to him when he was younger either as he was getting more feed then.

There is a handy explanation about what balancers are here http://www.equisupermarket.co.uk/blog/h ... balancers/ I've been looking at possibly getting a balancer for veteran horses to make sure he is getting the right level of vitamins and minerals, as he only gets a little daily feed made of general mix and molliechaff, to carry all the supplements we give him. He puts on weight easily! Then we top him up with mineral/ supplement treats but I'm think that it might not be enough now for him.

Return to “Feed, forage and supplements”