HAY OVERNIGHT

Lost when it comes to horse feed, forage and supplements? What works for your horse? Join the discussion
jimama

HAY OVERNIGHT

Postby jimama » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:43 pm

My horse is on a diet at the moment - he's a really good-doer and he's had a couple of weeks off while I've been away on holiday, so he's a bit porkie at the moment. The yard I'm at is fantastic, but understandably they've cut back his feed while I've been away and because their hay is such good-quality, they're rationing all the horses at the moment. However, I do get worried when I turn up to ride in the evening to find that he's halfway through his evening haynet. He probably finishes it by 8pm, which means he has no forage until he's fed next morning. I realise that having a fat horse is not healthy (but he's back in work now), but is it OK for him to go without anything to eat for so long overnight?

Snipper

Re: HAY OVERNIGHT

Postby Snipper » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Personally, I'd be concerned about my horse going for so long without eating, too. I've heard it can be really bad for their digestive systems for them to go for long periods of time without food, as they are designed to be eating almost all the time. Assuming your horse gets fed at 7am, he will have gone 11 hrs without food. However, being overweight isn't good either! I have heard lots of times about doubling up haylage nets, but I don't think even that will slow down a real foodie enough. Maybe you could put his hay in 3 haylage nets to make him really work at it. It'll take him a while but at least it'll last a bit longer. Although he may just make a hole in the nets so he can get at it more easily! Frustrating problem!

Irishcobfan

Postby Irishcobfan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:46 pm

That is a frustrating problem, however, there is another side to this problem. If your horse developed Laminitis due to being overweight he could well face having to be in his stable only receiving 1.5% of his bodyweight in food per day (or perhaps less) and having to wait for a long time between every single meal. This is a difficult thing to have to face and is even worse for your horse because of the pain. I know all the articles say that if he goes without fibre for too long he can get ulcers, stereotypical behaviour and all the rest but what they never tell you is what to do when you have no option!!
As Snipper says, all you can really do is slow him down by tripling his haynets, maybe add some chaff into a treat ball so he has to work to get it, hang a swede in his stable to he can amuse himself trying to get bites out of that but the most crucial thing is to get the weight off, slowly and increase his exercise.
What you could do is ask them to bring him in and once you've ridden you can hang his net? Hopefully that will make it last longer!
I really hope this helps and good luck!

Archie

Postby Archie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:09 am

I'd either try and slow him down by doubling haynets as already advised or you could put up two small holed haynets and mix his good hay with straw to bulk it out. Can you/ someone hang a net last thing at night? Do you soak his hay? That would take the calories out of it and help with the weight loss. My pony spends his life with his head down so when he comes in at night he doesn't even touch his hay much especially during summer months. I don't tend to worry too much, but I make sure he has hay ab-lib so he doesn't feel the need to stuff it all down quickly as it's always there it's not an issue.

hessy

Postby hessy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:51 pm

what about switching to straw instead of hay. its supposed to be good for horsey dieters! just remember to change him onto it gradually.

small holed haynets are good too.

jimama

Postby jimama » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Wow, what fab advice from you all. I think that most of the horses on our yard are in the same boat, as the forage they serve up is of amazing quality and all the horses just get stuck in. It's a real problem, isn't it, as how many yards are prepared to come out and throw some more forage into all their stables at midnight or whatever? But as you say, he has to lose the weight and if he got laminitis, that would be dreadful. So . . . double haynets it is!

diet2ride

Postby diet2ride » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 am

Hi, on my yard they get a pot of haylage at 10pm, and another one at 6am. I,m sure my horse loves it. But it does have an impact on my finances. To make up for this he has smaller nets during the day. I,ve just bought one of those elim a nets. This really does seem to slow him down.
The other thing I would say my friend has a yard of 6 horses and they get there last feed/forage at 4pm and don't get anything else after until the morning sometimes not until as late as 11. It has been like this for the past 15years they are all fine, and surprisingly don't kick or have vices when it comes to feeding time.

cobski
The SECOND number please: 99

Postby cobski » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:16 pm

Hello - read your post, yep your right - you don't want to be leaving your horse for a long period of time without forage - they are designed to eat little and often. I have tried double and triple netting. I came across Trickle Nets about a year ago - they far surpass any other net I have tried when it comes to giving a set amount of forage and it lasting - yes I nearly died at the price when I ordered my first one - but they are well worth it, and not like anything else I have seen - they have a website - have a look - it might help you and your horse :D

meandmyconnie
The SECOND number please: 99

Postby meandmyconnie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:28 am

Hiya!

Obviously overnight feeding can be very tricky. On one hand you don't want them to go with nothing but on the otherhand you know little and often is best.

I do two of three things to try and prolong the life of my hay.

Firstly I split her nightly hay ration into two nets - so she gets fed one at tea-time (6:00) and one later (8-9:00).

Secondly I use the double netting idea, except I BOUGHT them. This is because Dusty easily figures out I'm terrible at double netting and makes a massive gap in the side of her nets.

Thirdly I tied an old leadrope in the middle of her stable away from ALL four walls and then I hang (or clip) my haynets onto them. She can't press them against a wall to get at them therefore, as well as a fun game, they last longer :)

My pony is at home so the first idea may not work for you but maybe he could go without while you do any jobs and groom him and then he gets his second haynet?

I really hope you get the problem solved soon xx

Return to “Feed, forage and supplements”