An open letter to the inventor of stirrups...

Answer H&R's quick-fire questions and you could appear in the magazine
admin
Site Admin

An open letter to the inventor of stirrups...

Postby admin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:15 pm

322 AD saw a significant step in saddle design – in addition to the tree, paired stirrups moved the saddle much closer to the design similar to today’s.

The earliest stirrups – simple leather straps providing little support – had appeared in India 500 years earlier.

Anyone who has endured formal horsey training will have been told at some stage to "drop your stirrups".

Walk, trot, rising trot, canter and even jumping get a whole lot more interesting without stirrups. Imagine what life would be like if there were no stirrups?

Here's your chance to say thank you to the clever saddle maker who thought of stirrups! Have a a little fun, and the best letters may appear in Horse&Rider!

Read more about the evolution of the saddle and stirrups here:
http://www.horseandrideruk.com/article.php?id=616

horse_girl

Re: An open letter to the inventor of stirrups...

Postby horse_girl » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:48 am

I think I have stirrup OCD. Is it just me who insists the stirrup ends are tucked neatly through the loop and constantly checks they are in place? I'd rather ride with no saddle at all than with a saddle without stirrup loops!

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:11 pm

Oh dear Horsegirl - you do have stirrup OCD!

I would actually prefer to ride without stirrups most of the time. After all, riding without them helps to deepen your seat and improve your balance! I do insist that my stirrups are kept clean though - I hate that sticky horse goo from my horses coat making the sides of them dirty!

greyhorse

Postby greyhorse » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Dear inventor of stirrups

Thank you for creating such a fabulous item of tack. Stirrups have helped me stay on on several special occasions, when I would have otherwise hit the dirt. Stirrups have also helped me get on big horses when I was very small.

But, I agree that you have to have ridden without stirrups to fully appreciate the role they play in your general well being. Instructors take special delight in taking stirrups away from students to cultivate this appreciation. Rising trot in particular, is one way to endear stirrups in hearts and minds forever.

Best regards
greyhorse

horse_girl

Postby horse_girl » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:12 pm

I agree Greyhorse, I remember when my instructor told me to do rising trot without stirrups - the pain!! But very effective, it taught me not to rely on my stirrups for rising trot - more to shift my weight in time with the horse's movement as opposed to just standing up and then sitting down

Brave'nChompy

Postby Brave'nChompy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:43 am

the fact that stirrups were invented several thousand years ago and are still in use today says it all... Bet we wont be saying that about computers...

Return to “In 50 words or less...”