Getting lost

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
horse_girl

Getting lost

Postby horse_girl » Mon May 11, 2009 2:36 pm

Has anyone else found themselves completely lost out on a hack?! Nomatter how carefully I try to remember landmarks etc, I always manage to wind up totally losing my bearings, and having to rely on my horse to get me home again - ususally down the most unsuitable tracks! Does anyone have any advice for remembering routes? I'm starting to dread going out hacking, as I'm constantly worrying if I'll ever get home again, instead of being able to enjoy the great outdoors.

alison hanmer

Re: Getting lost

Postby alison hanmer » Tue May 12, 2009 10:50 am

Take a map? Take a friend who knows the area on another horse, or a mountain bike? Walk the route first? Get a sat-nav? You can get walker's sat-navs from Garmin and probably other companies, though they're not cheap. Get hold of a 'Where to Ride in xxxxx (ie, your area/county)' booklet from the BHS www.bhs.org.

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Thu May 21, 2009 1:17 pm

I have to say that the few times I have been hopelessly lost (once on Xmas Eve, very scary!) my horse has always found the way back - you just have to trust them I guess! Sat Nav is a great idea actually and you might actually find new routes. I'm definitely going to try taking one out, if only for that purpose!

greyhorse

Postby greyhorse » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:30 am

A common problem, I think! I had a pony who would find her way home no matter how lost I thought we were and I trusted her implicitly until the day she 'discovered' an apple orchard, and suddenly all routes led there!

I bring a map if I am planning somewhere knew, or scout the area first with someone who knows their way around. As long as it is a nice day, not getting dark, and I am not stuck for time, I don't mind getting somewhat lost.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:38 am

How about take photos of your route as you go on your phone, then you can retrace it to find your way back?!

aimeeee!

Postby aimeeee! » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:46 pm

Get in touch with your local Council, they should have a team which is reponsible for the upkeep and publising of your local bridleways and routes. They'll put you in touch with a officer and get a pack and information sent out to you (maps etc). Always tell someone where you're planning on going.

But i know the feeling, i think we've all done it, and myself i do it quite regularly as i like to go on new rides or find i've been chatting too much to a friend and realise i have to idea where i am and end up phoning my boyfriend or another fellow horse owner up and asking them if they know where i am by describing the tree and field i'm in.. which they find hilarious.

Another good way is to, if you have a dog, to walk your dog in the new area - so as on foot you'll be able to determine the terrian.

Don't panic - thats the main thing, enjoy your ride, and if you are lost enjoy the scenery and make your way in the clearest path - and find a landmark which could be familar with friends or family and give them a buzz.

Ride out with a friend and discover new rides together - that way getting lost is fun and theres usually a few jokes that come out of it.

Return to “Hacking happiness”