Problems out hacking

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
Charlottee94

Problems out hacking

Postby Charlottee94 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:27 pm

I having some problems on my 16 year old pony, she has recently started rearing and leaping whenever i ask her to stand, she is naturally a bit "wild" but she's started doing it anywhere including the road. I can't seem to stop her doing it, i've smacked on top of her head when she does do it but she doesn't batter an eyelid, her saddle fits fine, she had the dentist out in march and everything's fine. I ride her in a kimblewick which was also changed recently, she used to be in a snaffle. Any idea's what i could do with her?

greyhorse

Re: Problems out hacking

Postby greyhorse » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:32 am

There are lots of things that could be going on - especially if you have just changed your bit. Maybe this isn't the right bit for your mare?

I had a mare who couldn't cope with the leverage from pelhams or kimblewicks, and would flip her head right up and get really light on her front end with the slightest pressure - not ideal for a working hunter! We had to try other things and wound up using a straight, slightly ribbed Happy Mouth rubber bit with full cheeks - she loved it and the fact that it didn't move seemed to give her a lot of confidence. I would hesitate to do things like "smacked on top of her head", as she won't be able to put the rearing and smacking together, and this could be dangerous, especially on the road.

hessy

Postby hessy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:54 pm

Ok, first of all, hitting a horse on the head is a very bad thing to do so please dont ever do it again. This is the way horses get headshy. I dont want to give off at you but i feel that it needs addressed.

I agree with greyhorse, it could well be a bit problem. Why did you change her from the snaffle in the first place? Obviously she was a bit strong/fast, you said she was a bit 'wild' in the first place. I would try a hanging cheek snaffle (google it or look it up in books) first of all, which has a little bit of leverage and is a bit stronger than a snaffle. Or you could change the snaffle mouthpiece to a french link or Dr Bristol.

If your pony has a small mouth with a low palate (top of mouth) then the nutcracker action of a single joint may annoy her - in some horses this causes them to throw their head around. In this case you should use something with a double joint like a french link or DR bristol or a straight bar.

I hope this helps.

lemmethink

Postby lemmethink » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:00 pm

I had a professional come out and fit a bit for my horse. We emailed back and forth before she came, so she knew a lot about the horse and I and the issues we were having before she arrived. She brought a bunch of different bits she thought might suit, then watched me work the horse. We tried a few bits, and selected the one that fit him best. If you are looking to make a change of bit for whatever reason, it really helped me to work with someone who really knew a lot about the anatomy of the horse's mouth, bit action and could explain the influence of different bits on the horse. Plus, the fact that she was there, with the horse and we could try and test things made it really easy to feel the difference.

Hilary Vernon
http://www.informedbitting.co.uk/

Return to “Hacking happiness”