Hacking through water when clipped?

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
Kaliska

Hacking through water when clipped?

Postby Kaliska » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:47 am

On the route to the yard where I have lessons, my horse and I have to negotiate through a river that comes up to his belly. He was fully clipped out recently and since then, has started to refuse to go towards the river, which he always loved splashing through.

Could this be because he is clipped and now feels cold when he goes through the river? Anyone else come across this?

greyhorse

Re: Hacking through water when clipped?

Postby greyhorse » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:50 pm

Haven't come across this myself, but makes sense! I think they feel the cold more when they are clipped out - and bellies are a sensitive area to be clipped and then ridden through a river! More than that though, I would worry if he was clipped, then wet, then had a lesson, then hacked home (again through a river?) that he is being exposed to an awful lot of temperature changes and might be at risk of getting a cold? I know I would. Are you hacking him with a quarter sheet? At least then his loins would stay toasty, even if the rest of him was not. You could take it off for your lesson.

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:47 am

Yes, he hacks with a quarter sheet so we're visible on the road with a bright yellow backside!

lemmethink

Postby lemmethink » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:49 am

Brrrr! In the winter, is there somewhere you can get to that doesn't involve a dunk in the water?

hessy

Postby hessy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:41 pm

I went into the sea with my pony when she was clipped, she felt it all right! but didnt do anything.

Return to “Hacking happiness”