Blokes: Learning to ride as an adult

Size 12 riding boots... A hat that fits properly... Riding schools with man-sized horses... This one's for you, guys!
admin
Site Admin

Blokes: Learning to ride as an adult

Postby admin » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:25 am

When did you start riding - and what piqued your interest?

tangoman

Re: Blokes: Learning to ride as an adult

Postby tangoman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:09 pm

I started riding at 39 after watching my daughter have lessons. She has now given up entirely after a fall and I have carried on. In the last 2 years my later in life hobby has helped to dissolve the stress of working life and I look forward to my weekly lesson and hack out on my horse as often as I can.

Silver

Postby Silver » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi, I started riding when I was 35 just a couple of years ago.

My girlfriend at the time had her own horse and I had a couple of lessons with him. When we split up I went to a local riding school and have not looked back since. I have not got my own horse yet but I ride 2 or 3 times a week either hacking out or just having a lesson.

JAMES01

Postby JAMES01 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:02 pm

Hi,
I started riding about 3 years ago aged 31, I'd always liked horses and used to take a bag of carrots up the local stables but I was petrified if they ever got any closer than arms length!..in 2006 I got married and we went riding on our honeymoon which was great, the Majorcan weather at around 90 degrees with the horses kicking up dust clouds was fantastic so I believe it was then I was bitten by the bug! My wife and son tried another couple of lessons back in Blighty but the cold and rain clearly didn't suit as they quickly lost interest. At first I was really just trying to overcome my fear of Horses which thankfully has now disolved into a healthy respect and my efforts are now focused on improving and enjoying my riding. I've found a great school where I have been taking lessons for around 18 months and my confidence has come on leaps and bounds,...as has my riding!!. After having come off during my first attempts which knocked my confidence somewhat we're back to popping small jumps and might soon start on a bit of grid work.
The lads have a thing or two to say which are inappropriate for such media conduits! but it's all light hearted, and my answer to them is well...come along and jump aboard?...they soon change the subject!!
I don't have my own horse yet but it's defiantely on my to do list but for now I'm more than happy to work hard in my lessons and enjoy the occassional hack, I find riding a great way to unwind and steer ones mind away from the daily grind.

BellaII

Postby BellaII » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:31 pm

May I ask a delicate question of you chaps who have started riding as an adult? My husband started to have a few lessons and was getting on really well (I thought) but he's now lost interest because it hurts... Is there anything he could do to protect his "bits"?

I have this mad dream of going for a gentle riding holiday together and I'm slowly having to let it pass, very sadly.

confusedrider

Postby confusedrider » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:38 pm

I started one month ago and I am 36! Im not very good with balance, I am not fit and I am not good at sports. Im a bit scared of horses. Im Spanish and my English isn't good so is quite difficult to follow the instructions....
BUT....
I'll keep trying!!!! :)

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:10 pm

My partner has the same problem. We are trying to work thru it, but he would appreciate any advise also.

I would love for us to go on a horsy holiday together (got wind that he's planning to wisk me away for a week as my birthday present) but I think the delicate parts may not last the entire holiday!

[quote="BellaII"]May I ask a delicate question of you chaps who have started riding as an adult? My husband started to have a few lessons and was getting on really well (I thought) but he's now lost interest because it hurts... Is there anything he could do to protect his "bits"?

I have this mad dream of going for a gentle riding holiday together and I'm slowly having to let it pass, very sadly.[/quote]

redkitten

Postby redkitten » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:30 am

i have heard that padded cycling shorts can offer udeful support and cushioning.
i think being sympathetic to the occasional need to rearrange is important.

Return to “Horsey blokes”