Tendon injuries

Overcome lameness, or managing a chronic condition? Share your experience, help others and get advice
Lucinda

Tendon injuries

Postby Lucinda » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:08 pm

My mare came in with a swollen leg the other day after galloping around the field (I have only had her a few weeks and she was kept in before that). She wasn't lame and the swelling went down very quickly but today it came back up again after galloping around again. She still isn't lame. Has anyone had a horse with a tendon injury which didn't show any lameness? I should call the vet, but they will only tell me to rest her, cold hose, bandage, all of which I am doing, and charge a fortune, so I am wondering what to do.

Mel_H&R_WebsiteEd

Re: Tendon injuries

Postby Mel_H&R_WebsiteEd » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:30 am

The most important thing for any kind of swelling or inflammation is cold treatment - cold hosing, ice packs etc - and there are some great new snazzy products on the market which are very effective at fast cooling.

Bringing down inflammation is vital, as this will prevent any further damage to the soft tissues.

I hesitate to offer you any further advice, Lucinda, as you should always consult a qualified vet on any issues such as these. But I would advise cold treatment whenever the swelling arises - there is a good cold-hosing how-to video on horseandrideruk.com - http://www.horseandrideruk.com/article.php?id=392 - and it might also be a good idea to boot your mare up when you turn her out.

Regular brushing boots don't offer support, but if your mare is getting excited in the field then it's a good precautionary measure for preventing any knocks and scrapes.

And bear in mind that although she may not appear lame, a vet's trained eye may detect something that you have missed. It might prove more expensive, but can you really put a price on the health and wellbeing of your horse?

Has anyone else found themselves in a situation like this and can offer advice?

Good luck Lucinda, keep us updated with how you get on!

Lucinda

Postby Lucinda » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks for your reply. I did consult the vet who recommended box rest for 10 days and cold hosing and bandaging, so I will see how she is after that. The leg is still down, and she's still not lame, but I am worried that it will come back up if she doesn't get adequate rest. I agree, cold hosing is the way forward, although I have found a fantastic ice boot from Harpley Equestrian which is shaped like a tendon boot - you simply pop it in the freezer and it offers 20 minutes of cold therapy. It's fab!

Thanks again for the advice. Horse&Rider continues to be my favourite magazine!

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:15 am

If your horse isn't in pain, I don't see the harm in resting her for a while and seeing what happens. However, if you continue to have a problem with your horse's leg, it might be worth getting her leg ultrasound scanned. At least you will know what you're dealing with and how serious the damage is, and it will also give you a better idea of how much rest she needs and the best way to bring her back into work when the time is right.

Return to “Lameness”