Lameness due to poor shoeing

Overcome lameness, or managing a chronic condition? Share your experience, help others and get advice
cloudybay

Lameness due to poor shoeing

Postby cloudybay » Mon May 24, 2010 1:31 pm

I just want to let everyone know that I recently had a new farrier out who drove nails too high into my horses foot. The subsequent bruising has taken 9 weeks to settle down and so I have had a lame horse for all this time. After getting my old farrier back out to sort the feet, he has finally come sound again but at great expense from vet visits.

I just wanted to let all horse owners know that bruising caused by a bad shoeing session can take this long to rectify in case anyone else is feeling as despondent as I was about the horse coming sound again.

Snipper

Re: Lameness due to poor shoeing

Postby Snipper » Mon May 24, 2010 2:54 pm

I know how you feel! It's difficult to find a good farrier you can trust, and when you do they are normally too busy to take on any more clients! Unfortunately, as feet take such a long time to grow, if your farrier does a bad job, it can take a while for it to be rectified. A friend has just had to change her farrier. Apparently the old one had let her horse's feet get too small and she is now having to wait while her new farrier encourages them to grow out to a better size!

mja

Re: Lameness due to poor shoeing

Postby mja » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:22 pm

Oh dont get me started on some farriers!

I luckily have found an absolute gem for both our horse having given last one a sharp shift after booting my poor horse in the tummy when he knew she had issues of shoeing from pain in the past................

I also know of 2 girls who's horses were incorrectly shoed and they think this has been the casue of serious problems in joints since xx

Return to “Lameness”