Herbs for arthritis

Has an alternative therapy helped your horse, or perhaps you're considering hone? Discuss the alternative world here
mja

Herbs for arthritis

Postby mja » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:27 pm

For anyone who has had the devastating news that their horse has arthritis and may have to be retired (not a veteran so a shock) thn please please consider a herbal mix by a kowledgeable herbalist.

The vet told me that I may be able to manage my horse and all was not lost for flat wor and maybe some fun trec and prelim dressage again but no jumping. This was the best news to me but I was unhappy about giving her Danilon for the rest of her days when it has side effects on liver etc.

I thought nothing to lose when recommended a herbalist so stopped the Danilon (this was the hardest bit watched a crippled horse in walk) and began the herbs with magnetic wraps and turn out on flat ground as much as possibe and gentle 10 mins exercise a day building it up slowly hacking.

6 weeks later my horse is sound and we can now trot and canter with turns without overdoing it as early days and hack an hour even with hills!! It has given my horse her life back and me my sanity back. I know there will be bad days but its more than I could have hoped for and I wanted to sharte this to help others out there with the same problem xx

hessy

Re: Herbs for arthritis

Postby hessy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:32 pm

I have heard that cider vinegar is good for arthritis.

mja

Postby mja » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:57 am

Yep pity my mare won't touch it!

You ned a blend of the right herbs that are compatible to have real success though as one oil alone isnt enough if acute condition xx

camilla

Postby camilla » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:31 pm

HI.

My horse was diagnoses with arthritis last week. I was mortified at first as I thought my dressage days had gone. I spoke to my vet and she has given me some hope providing the injections in her hocks work ( she had them yesterday). She is on box rest today and then just walking on flat for 1 week and providing she is okay I can start building her up.

i also have her on a liquid joint supplement which has Glucosamine hsl and Chondroitin in which is supposed to be good for arthritis.

mja

Postby mja » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:46 am

Thats good I hope it works for your mare and I have friends in same boat waiting to see if injections will work. Injections were not an option for my horse as it is in her knees between the joints so interfereing with bone and ligament when she flexes knee.

Gluco and Chron is advised but no proven research that actualy does work although I'd try anything lol but also msn is meant to be worth a try and magnetic boots and keeping them mobile but hard round is a buggar with the good weather........

It has been a month since she cam totally sound and is bombing round in better form than I think I have seen her in 2 years had her and we are having lessons again and going to some lowkey dressage and trec comps end of this month!!

Return to “Alternative therapies”