Arthritis in older horses

Overcome lameness, or managing a chronic condition? Share your experience, help others and get advice
Kaliska

Arthritis in older horses

Postby Kaliska » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 pm

When my back lady came out to see my horse recently, she noted a lack of flexion in one hind leg. although he is not lame, and never has been, she thinks this might be the startings of arthritis in his hock joint.

What things do I need to look out for? Are there supplements I can feed to help?

He is 18 now, but definitely not ready to retire any time soon!

greyhorse

Re: Arthritis in older horses

Postby greyhorse » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:29 am

There are lots of joint supplements for horses, I feed one to my horse and I like to think it makes a difference!

hessy

Postby hessy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:03 am

I cant really advise you on a particular one. But an old remedy is cod liver oil - people swear on it for themselves and perhaps it would work better if you started it now rather than waiting for arthritis.

Plenty of turnout is another thing that would help too. Warming up gradually, plenty of walk etc.

Cortaflex is v expensive and some people find it good and others dont. I cant say i noticed much difference with my elderly pony.

In the end we didnt really give her any supplements.

What about asking your back lady if she can recommend anything or anyone you know who would use supplements etc.

mja

Postby mja » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:01 am

I have a 10 yr old just doagnoed with arthritic knee and after boxrest and bute she was fine but as I weaned her down to level aiming for on vets advice she was feely again on hills and turns. I didnt want her on bute even i Danilon forever with its side effects and just masking the problem rather than healing so I researched other avenues. Now I know there is no cure but wanted to try more natural routes - try anything.

I found that many of the supplements on the market include bulking agents so read their ingredients carefully. No proven research that work but one with glucsamine and chrondritin, msm and ha seems best. Blue chip I have heard recommended and Suppleaze Gold buthave not tried them.

Use of magnetic boots or wraps help the blood flow to the effected area.
Good flat turn out and riding surfaces not too deep or too hard and no trotting on roads to avoid concussion in joint. As much turn out as possible to keep mobility and stop stiffening up. Exercise is good!

I went down the route of a herbal mix from a herbalist and although cannot take on more clients any good herbalist is wroth a try as 6 weeks after being crippled in walk without the danilon in the field unable to trot limping on hills and turns, after 6 weeks she wastotally sound in all paces and being ridden on the flat again full of beans! Now 2 and half months on we are having lessons again with no sign of dicomfort going better than did before diagnosis and thinking of a dressage comp in a few weeks time!!

mja

Postby mja » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:05 am

Ok good news i asked herbalist and she said ok to give hubby's email address as easier for him to take the details by email for her -

[email protected]

angelica fernandes
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby angelica fernandes » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:39 am

Like human beings horses are affected by arthritis too. Symptoms of horse arthritis should never be ignored and the horse should never be burdened with physical activity in such cases. It is sad to see many a promising racing and equestrian careers being affected by stress in the weight bearing joints, or dysfunctional abilities in the regular movements of the animal. It is usually horses above the age of 15 which are especially prone to arthritis since the cartilage begins to wear out very quickly after that age. Some older horses are also affected by loosened tendons and ligaments resulting in inflammation, joint instability tremendous pain. One should never ignore the seriousness of the disease in horses lest it may cripple the animal from regular physical activity which is vital to horses. Horse arthritis is treatable and manageable once it is detected early enough. Some common symptoms may be stiffness seen after sleep or standing for a long time, swellings on certain joints, an obvious tendency to limp after exercises or prolonged walking. At times one might notice changes in the horse's performance or general differences in the animal's behavior.
[url=http://www.zichhi.com/]e liquid[/url]

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Well, he's now 21 years old and just having a quiet life. He gets worked or ridden when he wants to be, but otherwise is now a very expensive field ornament!

Return to “Lameness”