Falling out through the shoulder

Nereide is a British Dressage List 1 judge and trainer, and co-founder of the new affiliated dressage competition website 'Dressage Anywhere'
horse_girl

Falling out through the shoulder

Postby horse_girl » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:19 am

Hi Nereide

The horse I ride is very stiff on the right rein and drifts to the inside, while on the right rein he falls out through his outside shoulder.

The only thing I can think of is to do lots of leg yield and shoulder in on the right rein - a) is this correct, and b) is there anything else I can do to help this?

Thanks

Horse_Girl

Irishcobfan

Re: Falling out through the shoulder

Postby Irishcobfan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Hello horse girl,

Sorry it's not one of the experts replying but I do have a handy tip for you that I learned from my horse who used to do the same thing! Once you've warmed your horse up try starting on a 20 metre circle and begin to make the circle smaller using your outside leg and maintaing an inside bend. Try not to lose contact on the outside rein. Once you have made the circle a little smaller, leg yield back to your 20 metre circle one step at a time and repeat this a few times. It helps not to work too hard at it as you may find you twist in the saddle and make things worse! You should find he will soften to the inside rein and engage himself behind but don't do it for too long, just long enough to feel him between hand and leg. you can then start to ask for changes of rein using half halts to ensure he remains balanced and to stop him rushing but I would advise that you keep sessions short enough so that he ends on a good note and feels positive and not to push too hard to begin with or you may find you both get frustrated. There are exercises I would also try once things are going better but this is a nice simple one to get you started. I hope this helps, let me know how you get on x

Expert_Dressage

Postby Expert_Dressage » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:41 am

Hi,
Most horses, like people, have a strong and a weak side and they naturally move slightly crooked. Concentrate on making him take the left rein and try to make him loose and elastic on the rein he is leaning on i.e the right. If, when you first come out you feel he is tight on one rein then lighten that rein to match the ‘soft side’ not worrying too much where the head is. Keep your legs on and encourage him to take more weight in the light rein so he starts to bring his head between his shoulders and developes an even but elastic contact on both reins.

Leg yielding is a supppleing exercise which will help when done correctly. Do not ask for too much crossing. Do a few good steps then go straight and ask again making sure he is relaxed. If he becomes tight do it in walk – supple him, make sure he is moving away from the leg and not grabbing the rein and ask again – do not allow him to hang (sometimes you need to give when you want t take!) on the rein. Shoulder in is more of a collection exercise and your horse has to be supple and even on both reins before you collect.

A good exercise for your horse would be: X ride a 20m circle on left rein in rising trot, when crossing X again go sitting and ride a 10m circle to the right making sure he is on an elastic connection by quick lightening and re taking the inside rein, at X go rising on left 20 m again. Repeat on the other rein. If you can keep him soft and supple in trot then you can canter 20m and trot the 10m and canter 20m. Make sure you prepare well for the transitions before X and that you finish one circle before starting the other so he has a clear change of bend and you are using clear inside leg to outside rein aids. Another exercise would be 5m loops down the long side concentrating on an even feel on both reins.

I hope this helps
kind regards
Nereide

horse_girl

Postby horse_girl » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi Nereide,

Thank you for the advice and the exercises, they sound like something we will be able to attempt and I shall have a go when I school tomorrow night! I shall let you know how we get on...

Horse_girl

Return to “Nereide Goodman”