Do you have a breed you love?

Talk studs, breeding, broodmares and foals
greyhorse

Do you have a breed you love?

Postby greyhorse » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:04 am

Is there a breed of horse that seems like it was made for you? I am a huge fan of Lusitanos, and now that Mary King has a cross-bred Lusitano that jumps like a stag, I think I am on my way to horsey heaven - on a Lusitano X bred! How about you?

pukkapony

Re: Do you have a breed you love?

Postby pukkapony » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:08 pm

Too many choices....!

I love the look of fresians, I think they have to be the Brad Pitt of the horse world!

Lusitano's are nice too, I agree they have enormus potential brought out in the right way and are nice to look at too.

All above said however, you have got to love the temerament and overall spirit of the welsh pony!

lemmethink

Postby lemmethink » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:44 pm

Must you love the character of Welsh ponies? I rode several when I was a kid, one in particular named Merlin is responsible for my only partially functioning elbow! He was the fastest little monster to drop his shoulder and duck left (or right, he was talented!), but he was lovely and beautiful and sharp and I did learn a lot. Later there was a Welshie named Buddy, who despite looking like a fluffy little Easter bunny, was calculating in his mischief and would time his tricks very carefully. And he didn't bite, because he knew that was not allowed, but he would 'pinch' you ever so gently, and then wouldn't let go! I haven't ridden any of the bigger ones, maybe they are a bit steadier?

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:55 pm

Appaloosas and Knabstrups - I just loveee spotty ponies and horses!

hessy

Postby hessy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Connemara - i think they are super little ponies. ;D

I actually have a bit of a soft spot for TBs as well - theyre beautiful horses and i know a few smashing riding horses.

AM76

Postby AM76 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:06 am

I love selle francais's, i owned one a long time ago and he seemed to have the speed and intelligence of a TB but the calmer trainable temperament of a warmblood. I would love to know if this is standard of the breed or was it just this horse? They are also very beautiful, slightly finer than warmbloods.

littlehorse

Postby littlehorse » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:48 am

I love the Thoroughbred for their speed and agility. They can have quite quirky personalities too.

Archie

Postby Archie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:15 pm

I adore native ponies, they are super fun, each one has a massive personality and they keep you on your toes! My favourite breed of ponies though are New Forests. I love their heritage and they are just so versatile.

Return to “Studs, breeding, broodmares and foals!”