Hang on or not?

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
greyhorse

Hang on or not?

Postby greyhorse » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:22 am

To keep going on the wild hack theme, if you come undone on the common, should you try and hang on to your reins - or let go?

Harriet

Re: Hang on or not?

Postby Harriet » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:13 pm

Haven't recently fallen off on a hack when my horse spooked at a deer in canter, I'd say you don't often get the choice. In this case, I dropped the reins, but it was all over so quickly it wasn't a conscious decision! I have to confess I was being rather lax, with loose reins and thinking of what I was going to wear that evening - I won't do that again! In general, I'd let go of the reins if I had the choice, having dislocated my thumb a the rein once when I was shunted by a bigger horse out hunting. I'm afraid my survival tends to take precedence in an emergency - does that make me a bad horse owner?

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:41 am

I never have a choice! I've never managed to hang onto the reins when I have fallen off, but luckily I haven't yet fallen off out hacking *touches wood*

It is my biggest fear though, as I know I would let go and I would hate my horse to run off!

Bergie

Postby Bergie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:45 am

I wouldn't have thought you would have a choice when it gets down to it. In an open space i would try and hold onto my horse but if doing that could cause more problems then i would just let go. Half the time the horse will probably stop after a while and graze, although that could just be my horse who likes his food!

Lucinda

Postby Lucinda » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:32 pm

A friend of mine fell off my horse a couple of years ago and didn't let go off the reins. My horse leapt backwards, dragging my friend, who was adamant she wasn't letting go and the result was my horse was badly injured - pulled muscles - and my friend had cuts and bruises all over her! I am sure if she had let go - which she had to do eventually anyway - things would have been a lot better.

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:59 am

In the view of safety...not

As everyone knows our horses are our pride and joy and we would do anything to protect & keep them safe but when it boils down to it its stupid putting yourself at risk over your horse. Horses are naturally flight animals but if you watch some just horsin around in a field and one spooks they tend to run, look back and aslong as the thing that was spooking them is not clinging on or chasing them then they stop (most of the time) I know that is not always the case but especially if you are out with other horses they will naturally want to go into herd mode for protection. Its always safer (and normally more fun) to hack with someone else.

In summary: your horse may be number one to you but if the worst were to happen what would your horse be without you to care for it? - Sorry to put it so harsh but it's something that has happened to a friend of a friend of mine, she lost use of her legs because she held on to the reigns and got dragged under & trampled, her horse was a bit shook up but stopped less than 50 yards away - when you think.... how it could have been if she had only let go of the reigns?

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:52 pm

i agree, DEFINATELY let go. I parted company with my horse on a hack once after being chased by a badger. i instinctivly let go of the reins and even though my horse ran of out of sight, he soon re- appeared with his mouth full of grass and neither of us were hurt. holding onto the reins is so dangerous and i would strongly advise against it.

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:14 pm

hang on - it's less hassle and at least you tried...

fattywawa

Postby fattywawa » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:01 pm

I agree; let go! Injury is a pretty much a certainty if you don't. Then hope like hell that your horse regains it's brain and stops.

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:30 am

I think it depends on your horse. I would quite happily let go off my old horse when I was hacking because he would go to the nearest piece of grass and eat until I wanted to get back on. He would also stop dead if I fell off and look at me like "what did you do that for?"

The horse I'm currently riding however I would never ever ever voluntarily let go of if I fell off because he would be gone and I would never catch him again. At least not without going all the way back to the yard for a feed.

However, often at the time you don't have much of a choice either way. I think you just instinctively keep hold, or you let go...
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Return to “Hacking happiness”