Trotting on the road

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
Snipper

Re: Trotting on the road

Postby Snipper » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:17 pm

I have to say, I don't trot on the roads much these days as I'm a little paranoid about my horse's legs, but I used to quite a lot. I also spent some time helping out a top event rider who did a lot of road work, inc a lot of trotting up big hills on the road.

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:43 am

I have heard that trotting on roads can be good to build up the strength in the feet of horses going barefoot. Does anyone know if this is true?
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

tazzle

Postby tazzle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:56 pm

for transitioning barefoot horses dominochase the hard surface work has, like anything else, to be introduced slowly with walking for short periods like 10 mins daily to start with. This builds up till yes, they are trotting on roads .... and it does indeed make for very hard feet !!!

I drive as well as ride my welshie so we have little choice but to do trotting on roads ..... and it was miles as she had to be fit enough to do several miles in a decent pace for trec and driving trials. There were a few times we put boots on if she was wearing her feet down too much but that didn't happen very often .... and she never has had any lameness problems.

Return to “Hacking happiness”