Trail riding in Turkey

Find horsey paradise! Share holiday hints and find tips on trips
AM76

Trail riding in Turkey

Postby AM76 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:25 am

Has anyone been trail riding in Turkey? I'd like to take my non riding partner but not sure what standard he would need to be before we go?

pukkapony

Re: Trail riding in Turkey

Postby pukkapony » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:59 am

Well if he's non riding then I would reccomend he buys a good pair of walking boots! lol!

In seriousness, it would probably be a good idea to get your partner some lessons at a riding school. Something that would benifit him is going out hacking with you, if you have your own horses or can borrow some that would be great. He would need to be confident upto canter and have a strong seat. From there it would depend on the level of ride you go on. Remember, any horse can still go off galloping into the dusk with rider in tow even on a walking trail so prepare for the un expexted and then it won't be such a shock when the time comes.
Maybe as preperation go to a UK based area (like the new forest) and do a trail ride weekend and see if its for you.

Good luck! x

AM76

Postby AM76 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Good idea, we have a horse we can borrow to teach him on, so I guess we should do a few lessons at home, then try somewhere like the New Forest.

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:30 pm

NOt sure if this is relevant for the whole of Turkey but when I was there this time last year we had to be really careful about bees.... I was about an hour outside Marmaris and it was bee season and they would get angry if you went near the hives or something...so watch out!

Dingbat

Postby Dingbat » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:14 pm

Where abouts are you going? I looked into it when we went to Cappadocia and there were some really good ranch-style centres in the area. We didn't go in the end (opted for a balloon instead) but it would be amazing. Try looking on http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/ - the guy knows everything there is to know about Turkey!

isaacoomber
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby isaacoomber » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:11 am

Well if he's non riding then I would reccomend he buys a good pair of walking boots! lol!

In seriousness, it would probably be a good idea to get your partner some lessons at a riding school. Something that would benifit him is going out hacking with you, if you have your own horses or can borrow some that would be great. He would need to be confident upto canter and have a strong seat. From there it would depend on the level of ride you go on. Remember, any horse can still go off galloping into the dusk with rider in tow even on a walking trail so prepare for the un expexted and then it won't be such a shock when the time comes.
Maybe as preperation go to a UK based area (like the new forest) and do a trail ride weekend and see if its for you.

Good luck! x

This is great advice. Thank-you so much!

Waterton national park alberta

Return to “Horsey holidays”