Hot horse for dressage

From preparation and plaiting to coping with show-day nerves! Share your competitive life experiences here
Lucinda

Hot horse for dressage

Postby Lucinda » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:21 pm

I am about to compete a very forward-going mare in a prelim. Any tips on what to do? She over-reacts to the leg, so I have to sit quietly, but any other tips would be most welcome. Thanks

hessy

Re: Hot horse for dressage

Postby hessy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:19 pm

I think the main thing is to try to stay relaxed. I know this is a hard thing to do on any horse because any form of competition is quite nerve wracking!

I would concentrate on her schooling coming up to the competition and make sure you are confident controlling her up and down the 'gears' and that she responds as good as possible in the rein as she does to the leg.

I think a 'sparky' horse is good for dressage as i find that all the movements come up very quickly and you are working flat out at a million things at once - perhaps that is just me - perhaps i ride too lazily generally lol! - also it will be easier to get a good active pace.

I would also caution at holding her back all the time as she will resist and perhaps get tense. Keep gently checking her, heels down, look up and think ahead.

If she plays up, stay calm and ride through it - just 'point' your rein in the direction you want to go and use as much seat and leg aids as you think is necessary.

Some of the techniques i mentioned in the other thread may be useful here too.
I hope that helps a wee bit - i havent really ridden hot horses in dressage - just lazy ones lol! - but the same techniques and tips can be transferred.

How are you getting on with the hacking?

Lucinda

Postby Lucinda » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:01 pm

Thanks Hessy, that's really helpful! Yes the hacking is getting better, so I must be doing something right. I will take all your tips on board.

Do you prefer lazy horses? I have ridden lots of them, so this is a bit different for me.

hessy

Postby hessy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:50 pm

I think a sharp horse suits me as I ride very quietly but i'm not confident enough yet to enjoy it. My definition of a lazy horse is one that you have to work hard at to get working well, one that will try and get away with the minimum. Which isnt very pleasant to ride - you get so knackered but i guess you get such satisfaction out of getting them going well. * I think I would generally feel more confident on a lazier horse so I would prefer them mostly but they are just hard work in dressage lol!

I think its good to ride different types of horses. I am striving to be able to ride all types well - i think riding is a great sport in that there are so many challenges.

I'm glad the hacking is going well, you are probably starting to gel together now too.

When is the dressage comp? Good Luck, have a good time, it will be a bit of craic and a day out no matter the outcome :)

Lucinda

Postby Lucinda » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:17 pm

Thanks Hessy. I will probably do one sometime next month. I understand what you mean about lazy horses - when you do get them going you feel a sense of achievement.

I do have to say that although my mare is sharp, she's not naughty. In fact she is better behaved than my friend's very lazy warmblood, who throws in quite a lot of bucks.

hessy

Postby hessy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:43 pm

Yes, I have sometimes found that! Its nearly the lazier ones that would tend to buck! The speedy hot ones just run lol!

littlehorse

Postby littlehorse » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:40 pm

I have a speedy hot horse who bucks aswell. The walk and trot work is fine, but the canter is usually an explosion. I would love for him to realise that canter does not always mean racing.

Return to “Competitive life”