Feathers or no feathers??

From preparation and plaiting to coping with show-day nerves! Share your competitive life experiences here
fattywawa

Feathers or no feathers??

Postby fattywawa » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:09 pm

I have a 16'2" Clydesdale.

If he is hogged do I have to take his feathers off too?

Snipper

Re: Feathers or no feathers??

Postby Snipper » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:22 pm

You don't HAVE to take his feathers off just because he's hogged. It's down to preference really. They can look smart trimmed off and are much easier to care for when they are short, but the hair can provide protection to the leg too. On the other side of the coin though, heavy feathering can mask things like mud fever, which are only noticed when it's bad enough to be seen through the hair. So there are pros and cons for both. I'd say just go with whatever you want to do!

fattywawa

Postby fattywawa » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:58 am

That's great thanks!

Is it frowned upon in the show ring???

hessy

Postby hessy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:36 pm

From these pics, i think you are supposed to keep the mane and feathers. http://www.clydesdalehorsesociety.com/

littlehorse

Postby littlehorse » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:50 am

If your not showing him then I don't think it really matters. If he lives out then I would leave the feathers on.

ponyprincess

Postby ponyprincess » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:49 pm

I think it very much depends. I had a friend whose horse never had his feathers clipped. She went away on holiday and the yard owner went ahead and did it. She was horrified when she got back, even though he did look very smart! She left them to grow back and they never did grow back properly. She ended up clipping them off most of the time herself after that!

Return to “Competitive life”