Picnic rides

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
ponyprincess

Picnic rides

Postby ponyprincess » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:29 pm

Has anyone managed to fit in a picnic ride this summer? I really wanted to do one but haven't found the time yet. Does anyone do this regularly? What kit should I take with me? I'm only thinking about 5 - 10miles at the most.

littlehorse

Re: Picnic rides

Postby littlehorse » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:03 am

I used to do this as a child in the summer holidays. We would take with us a saddle bag and fill it with our lunch. Then we would ride out for about 2-3hrs incorporating a stop for lunch. It was great fun but I have not done it since. If it is hot you would need somewhwere that you can get access to water for your horses expecially if you were to planning on going out for the whole day.

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:11 pm

That is a very good point. We used to go via a ford to make sure the horses got a good drink, but rarely took food and so it couldn't really be called a picnic ride... more like a 5 hour fun ride ending in extreme hunger!
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:01 pm

We used to pub rides which were great fun. The pub would let us tie up to trees in the car park and people from the yard would meet us there with water and to help out. We'd go in the pub for a drink and a bowl of chips and then ride home again. I used to love it and so did my horse, as there was a good sandy gallop on the way home. It was an annual event at our yard.

ponyprincess

Postby ponyprincess » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:46 am

That sounds like a brilliant idea – pub ride instead of picnic ride – much better idea in this sort of weather i.e. icky

Return to “Hacking happiness”