Letter for the heart

Sometimes our time with special horses is all too short. Share your memories here
admin
Site Admin

Letter for the heart

Postby admin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:37 pm

Dear Dominic
I got you when you were already 27 years old. And at the time I dare say a lot of people thought I was mad taking on such an oldie. But I had no luck with younger horses and I have no regrets whatsoever choosing you.
I learned a lot from your steady approach to everything, and you helped me gain loads of confidence.
Yes, there were things you still spooked at, like plastic bags and anything that really flapped in the wind. But as we got to know each other, you'd even face those scary plastic bags. I'm not saying you were perfect, you had your faults just like most people do, but your good points outshone your bad points by far.

You were retired two years ago and lived the life of riley, until I made the decision with your vet that it was time for you to go at the grand old age of 33. I have heard people say that you shouldn't get a horse older than 18, but even with a younger horse you never know what is around the corner. But with an older horse, you tend to get somebody who is a bit more laid back, and will have gained a lot of wisdom as well as every trick in the book when it comes to food. The only real downfall is when you have to say good-bye.

Horse&Rider reader Miss K Greenwood, West Yorkshire

pukkapony

Re: Letter for the heart

Postby pukkapony » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:54 am

Its good to see some people still want the 'oldies'

There are so many retired horses that no one wants, there are even charities that keep them. I suppose many think who wants to pay for a horse that you get nothing out of and cost more than average in vets bills?

I bought a horse at age 21 and he's going to be with me till its time to say goodbye. I also have 2 16 yr olds and a 15 yr old who will all stay with me, just like my younger generation ponies.

Return to “Horsey memorial”