Hacking to lose weight

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
cloudybay

Hacking to lose weight

Postby cloudybay » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:22 am

Does anyone know the best way to get weight off a horse out hacking. I have given conflicting advice as my farrier says lots of long slow hacks and a girl at the yard has said you need to do lots of fast work?

H&R_Editor

Re: Hacking to lose weight

Postby H&R_Editor » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:24 am

I think long and slow is the best way to lose weight - for horses or us! We have a fantastic feature in our July issue about weight loss so look out for that. I would suggest getting the horse who needs to lose weight out for some good long hacks or sponsored rides. Also, if he’s very overweight then fast work will put a lot of strain on his legs, so definitely go for long and slow in my opinion.

Dingbat

Postby Dingbat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:41 pm

Yes - think about runners or race horses for that matter. Sprinters are big and bulky, whereas long distance athletes are ultra lean. Event horses do masses of walk work before they get to galloping fitness and I'd recommend the same.

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Speaking of losing weight, does riding actually help the rider lose weight at all? (Obv diet and other exercise count) but I mean, has anyone found that having started riding, say 2-3 times a week they've lost weight? Just a thought...

hessy

Postby hessy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:29 pm

I think that when i had my own pony and was keeping it at home, the other jobs like sweeping and catching and dung picking and mucking out and grooming really help your fitness too.

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:09 pm

I would do lots of long, slow trot work to help a horse lose weight hacking. Also all that rising is good for the rider to lose weight too!
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:31 pm

I schooled for just 15 minutes the other day having not been in the school for ages and my thighs are KILLING ME!!!! I feel bow legged it's AGONY!! Would just give up and go back to hacking but dear god, it just goes to show the effects of schooling on your legs! I'll have thighs like steel rods if I keep it up!!

Return to “Hacking happiness”