Rubber Stable Mats

Riveting? Nope. Essential? Oh, yes! Discuss insurance, transport and stabling
Lausie

Rubber Stable Mats

Postby Lausie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:18 pm

Hi, I am thinking of buying some stable matting ready for the Autumn, does anyone have any good/bad experiences with any particular brands? Thanks!

greyhorse

Re: Rubber Stable Mats

Postby greyhorse » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:19 pm

I bought Black Mats - and the whole process was really easy. They delivered them right to my stable door and although they are heavy enough to stay in place, they are bendy enough to wrestle into place on your own. I matted the whole box, and now only bed about half of the stable and have the rest of the matted area swept back. I admit that any good mats are going to be a significant investment, but my horse is very comfortable, and over time I'm saving loads on bedding. I used to use 8-10 bags of straw a month, and now only go through 3-4. I have had mats before that ripped and slid around - and that was really annoying. I'd go for the the best, heaviest ones you can.

AM76

Postby AM76 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:57 am

I have found stable mats on their own or with a small amount of bedding just smell too much. I now by choice would have stable mats under a full woodchip bed. I think mats make the horse much more comfortable and stop scraping and wear on shoes but wouldn't see them as a money saver, unless you can cope with the smell.

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:47 am

I like the idea of stable mats as AM76 says, placed UNDER the main bedding, not instead of.

I like my horse to have a nice, deep bed and think that the mats would be good to help keep warmth in but think it would be uncomfy for my horse to just have them with little or no bedding on top

mja

Postby mja » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:42 am

I love our rubber matting. In one stable we have the permanent type with a rubber crumb and lilo underlay called Comfort Matting and in the other we have huge black flat mats with the bumpy type nonslip surface as we could not afford Comfort again.

The Comfort Matting is fab cos it is good for her dodgy knees and warmth in the winter with a nice bed of wood pellets that soak up her non stop pee and is so absorbent it is a real money saver together. It is so much easier even with a nice bed to keep clean and unsmelling as nothing gets underneath it being screwed to the walls.

The other matting with a layer of wood pellets then shavings on top as the wood pellets are dearer works great also for a messy gelding that pees alot too.

cloudybay

Postby cloudybay » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:09 pm

I think over the years I have owned just about every brand and Equimat is the best I have used. It interlocks like a big jigsaw puzzle and the pieces are light enough for small feeble woman like me!

Soraya_H&R_AssistEd

Postby Soraya_H&R_AssistEd » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:24 am

I don't know much about the different brands, but I've found the ones that sit higher off the floor seem to be better. They allow urine to flow down underneath rather than sitting on top and are much easier to clean because you can hose them down and flush out all that is sitting below the matting. Really does reduce the smell problem! I would recommend making sure the floor underneath the matting doesn't have any dips where urine can collect and ideally your stable will be on a slight slope towards some drainage. The first stable I had my horse in was absolutely perfect for rubber matting – if only I'd known at the time how lucky I was!
Follow [url]http://www.twitter.com/HR_insider[/url] for the latest news, gossip and diary dates from the UK's No.1 best-selling equestrian monthly magazine
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1082166_e0beba118d.jpg[/img]

Return to “Insurance, transport and stabling”