First Time Showing.. help!?

From preparation and plaiting to coping with show-day nerves! Share your competitive life experiences here
whispers18

First Time Showing.. help!?

Postby whispers18 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:19 pm

At the end of this month I am going to be doing a Mountain & Moorland Ridden class on a can be ploddy exmoor.. I was just wondering if you are allowed to ride with a crop, I would not use it excessively as obviously I need to ''show off'' the pony but find that if I just have it there he responds much better... Would I be marked down or is it not even allowed?

Also.. as he can be cheeky I feel it would be best to wear a body protector (all be it a thin one) but should I wear it under or over my show jacket - I am not keen on the 'over the top' look but fear I'd end up looking ridiculously bulky with it underneath.

Any responses to either questions will be received gratefully

:D

hessy

Re: First Time Showing.. help!?

Postby hessy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:38 pm

If its a local show it wont matter. I would wear the body protector over my jacket, if it was me. You can carry a whip if its plain coloured - black or brown, navy etc. and of normal length. i.e. no schooling whips etc.

Generally with regards to the whips, show riders would carry a cane but its just decoration really.

whispers18

Postby whispers18 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:21 pm

okay thanks :) i'll have to see what fit the jacket is and decide from there.. and i'll go get myself a black crop thenn :) yeai agree show canes seem a bit OTT :L x

hessy

Postby hessy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Good luck at your show :)

whispers18

Postby whispers18 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Good luck at your show :)

thank youu :) x

Archie

Postby Archie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:55 am

A show cane is more correct for showing, but as it's local level then you can use a normal whip if you prefer.

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:46 am

How did it go???
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

tobyana

Postby tobyana » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:33 pm

You should be allowed to ride with a crop, or in a show usually a posh cane, but to be sure check the rules which most schedules include. If I were you I wouldn't wear the body protector unless you feel it is compulsory for your safety but wear it on top as wearing it underneath your jacket may cause it to stretch. Good luck, and if you don't get good results then don't forget that it's your first show!
All the best
expletive

Return to “Competitive life”