Veteran insurance

Riveting? Nope. Essential? Oh, yes! Discuss insurance, transport and stabling
Kaliska

Veteran insurance

Postby Kaliska » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:20 am

My horse will be 18 this year, and I currently pay about £35 a month on his insurance. He's excluded from lots of things including lumps, back problems, hoof issues and sarcoids, and i know I wouldnt put him through surgery if it came to it, so is it really worth me paying this out, or would I be better off putting £35 into a bank account every month?

greyhorse

Re: Veteran insurance

Postby greyhorse » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:03 pm

If you are that disciplined! What would you do about liability insurance?

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:48 am

Thanks Greyhorse - I hadn't thought about liability insurance at all!

I have just recieved a quote from a different insurance company though - for only £11 a month! It just takes away loss of use claims and reduces the vets fees i can claim for, but realistically, I wouldn't put my horse through any surgery, or anything else severe because of his age so I think I will switch over to them.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:16 pm

Well investigated. Some memberships cover some aspects of liability insurance. It would be worth raising any clubs or associations you belong to when asking for a quote.

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:47 am

I dont use them myself but try

http://www.horse-insurance.co.uk/

they offer a pick and choose simple layout and you can get a pretty low price without the vets cover.

Soraya_H&R_AssistEd

Postby Soraya_H&R_AssistEd » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:08 am

I think it is always best to have comprehensive insurance, but that comes from working at an equine hospital and seeing what can go wrong with horses! Colic surgery can be over £3000 plus aftercare costs. I have friends who insure their horses and some who don't. It is a personal choice, but what happens if you have only been putting £35 a month away for two months and your horse requires veterinary treatment in the second month! You will only have £70 not the £4000 or similar from the insurance. It's a tricky one. Of course when you throw exclusions into the mix it gets even more complicated – would you be better off holding on to the money for a rainy day?

My horse was absolutely fine and healthy for eight years. I didn't claim once and I moaned about the cost of insurance. Then he maxed out his insurance in his last year. I was very glad he was insured as I had to pay £3000 on top of the insurance payout.

I think if you do put the money away, which can be a good option if you are lucky with your horse's health while you save and you have exclusions on your insurance, then it is definitely worth taking out liability insurance. You can get this from lots of insurance companies, but you can also get it by getting BHS Gold Membership.
Follow [url]http://www.twitter.com/HR_insider[/url] for the latest news, gossip and diary dates from the UK's No.1 best-selling equestrian monthly magazine
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1082166_e0beba118d.jpg[/img]

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:34 am

Very interesting reading. Since my first post I have actually stopped insurance for vet bills because I know that I wouldn't put him through colic surgery or any other major surgery. He's not the kind of horse that could ever be on box rest, and if he went so lame that he couldn't be a field ornament, I'd rather put him down so he didnt suffer.

That may sound cruel and heartless, but I know I'd do what was right for him. In the meantime, I now have almost £700 saved up - I increased the amount I put aside each month - and it's there for emergencies.

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:46 pm

I think that sounds like a really good idea Kaliska, I would do exactly the same thing with an elderly horse. With regards to not putting him through surgery or on box rest, I think you're right. Sometimes I think we put our horses through too much in an effort to keep them for as long as possible and once they get to a certain age I think it is really unfair.

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:46 am

I personally think that I would put a healthy, elderly horse through colic surgery or similar, if there was a reasonable chance of success. Plenty of horses recover well and can live long lives afterwards with a some extra loving care. I always think what would I want someone to do for me, and I know that I would like someone to try. On saying that I wouldn't put a horse with health issues through it, or keep having colic surgery if it reoccurred.
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Return to “Insurance, transport and stabling”