Taking my horse and my dog

Find horsey paradise! Share holiday hints and find tips on trips
H&R_Editor

Taking my horse and my dog

Postby H&R_Editor » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:01 am

I have just booked my horse Eek and myself on a riding holiday in Norfolk. It's right on the edge of the Thetford forest and the hacking is endless, apparently. My dog is coming, too, and I am camping. It's only £18 per day for all three of us. The place is called Little Lodge Farm if anyone is interested in going there sometime. I'll post and let you know how it goes. www.littlelodgefarm.co.uk

dominochase

Re: Taking my horse and my dog

Postby dominochase » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:52 am

Sounds fab! I look forward to hearing about it!
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:15 pm

Aaah that's really nice, it sounds great! You should get a bike to explore the surrounding area when you aren't on horse! ;o)

x

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:35 am

Looks like i've got my summer 2011 holiday planned - thanks Ed :)

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:28 pm

You should tell us all about it when you're back! They should do more of these things!

Dingbat

Postby Dingbat » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:16 pm

That's such good value - last time I went camping it was almost as much for the tent, car and me!

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:41 am

I'm tempted as well what a great way to spend time with your horse and go on holiday at the same time! also means you don't have to cough up more £££ to get someone to look after your pony while you're away.

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:02 am

Have you been on holiday yet? How did it go?!
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Ooh yes, I'd love to hear how it was! It sounds like such a great idea. Please let me know if it was good, as I'll be booking next summer if it was!

H&R_Editor

Postby H&R_Editor » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi guys

Sorry I haven't updated you sooner. We had a great time away! My horse Eek was wonderful and the forest riding is stunning! Great to wear the dog out, too. Little Lodge Farm is a lovely place to go camping. The people are really friendly, the horse accommodation is really comfortable and it's beautifully tucked away so you really get some peace and quiet.

Day 1: We went for a long ride in the morning and I walked into the nearest town (about 2 miles) in the aftenoon, had a beer and walked home. Cooked spaghetti bolognaise in the lorry and Eek stayed out as it was a nice evening.

Day 2: Another long ride, this time incorporating some cross country fences. I have a little video of this somewhere, so will try to work out how to upload it. I took my bike, so in the afternoon I went for a cycle ride - the dog came, too - and then it started to rain so I put Eek in her stable and retired to the lorry to cook stew.

Day 3: Some more cross country and beautiful riding. Lots of nice, long gallops. It was wonderful. In the afternoon I got caught out walking in the rain so went for a nice shower before opening a bottle of wine in the lorry and reading my book.

Day 4: A change of plan today. I went for a long cycle ride in the morning and then the owner's niece Kirsty took me out for a ride to show me some different areas of the forest. It was amazing, but really funny, because Kirsty's pony likes to go fast and be in front and so does Eek. It was quite a fast and competitive ride. Kirsty's pony can extend in the trot like you have never seen before!

Then we were off back home again and said our farewells to Little Lodge Farm.

I would highly recommend a visit, but would suggest you take a bicycle if your lorry is your only vehicle. It really is tucked away. If you have a non-horsey partner, there is plenty for them to do as well. Oh and if camping is not for you, there are two (soon to be three) log cabins on the premises and they are luxurious (I had a guided tour).

I'll try and upload some pics to show you. Would love to hear about your experiences, too.

Oh and look out for the feature on my holiday in the January issue of Horse&Rider, on sale November 30th.

Return to “Horsey holidays”