Paying for paths

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
Soraya_H&R_AssistEd

Paying for paths

Postby Soraya_H&R_AssistEd » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:17 am

In this month's Horseworld (November 2010), we report on a new pay-as-you-ride off-road riding route that was opened in Nottinghamshire in July.

Would you pay for off-road riding in your area? Or maybe you do already? Let us know here!
Follow [url]http://www.twitter.com/HR_insider[/url] for the latest news, gossip and diary dates from the UK's No.1 best-selling equestrian monthly magazine
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1082166_e0beba118d.jpg[/img]

dominochase

Re: Paying for paths

Postby dominochase » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:02 pm

I used to pay to ride on local Forestry Commission land, so I guess I am in the "would pay for it" camp.
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Well, I guess it depends on what the hacking is like in your area. If it was the only place to ride out safely, then I might, but otherwise, I prob wouldn't bother, as it's one more cost I could do without! Our yard is near MOD land, which we are supposed to pay to ride on. I think it's for insurance purposes and so they can let you know if there's going to be any activity on the common that might scare your horse. However, not many people at our yard do pay. There are lots of other lovely places to ride nearby for free. I do still use it sometimes at my own risk, but I am as confident as i can be that if we were to run into the army on exercise that my horse wouldn't be frightened. We have come across men hiding in bushes, shooting and helicopters landing and he is always fine! I wonder how many riders do pay to use it - there are not signs up saying permit holders only or anything, and we have never been stopped and checked up on.

ponyprincess

Postby ponyprincess » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:15 pm

I used to ride on forestry commission land and we didn't used to pay, but there were so many conflicts in the forest where we rode and complaints about us riding on the designated horse paths (apparently we churned up the paths, ridiculous) that we ended up being followed all over the place by those permit checkers. We paid for yard passes and split the cost between us. It was only a ten second ride from our yard to the forest so it was convenient and worth paying for. Even with the annoying elderly complainers.

Return to “Hacking happiness”