Devote my life to defeating Ragwort

Lost when it comes to horse feed, forage and supplements? What works for your horse? Join the discussion
greyhorse

Devote my life to defeating Ragwort

Postby greyhorse » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:28 am

Well, it feels like that anyway. Thankfully, Ragwort doesn't stand much of a chance at our yard, but I have been places where it has really taken hold. How do you manage it? As if poo-picking wasn't enough of a hobby...

pukkapony

Re: Devote my life to defeating Ragwort

Postby pukkapony » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:05 pm

I have pre-decided 'poo days', 'ragwort days', and 'ragstone days' the yard i'm at seems to kick ragstone out the ground so every 3 days brings a differnt task, and by the time I have dug all the ragstone out and picked up the poo theres normally 20 odd spoutlings (< if thats even a real word!) of ragwort! It is a never ending battle, especailly with 6 horses spread over 3 fields! One word of advice on the ragwort battle, I wouldnt reccomend the kits that you 'cap and poison' the plant, I spent a fortune thinking I had invested in hours of free time only to find the effects lasted a grand total of 2 weeks. Very depressing :(

lemmethink

Postby lemmethink » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:52 pm

I agree that removing the plant is the only way. Aching back and legs later... The horses always watch me doing it with mild interest - it must be entertaining for them!

Irishcobfan

Postby Irishcobfan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:02 pm

I'm having a terrible time with the vile plants! The ground is like concrete at the moment and some of the plants are still at the rosette stage making it nigh on impossible to dig them out. The taller plants are much easier for some reason. I guess its because the stems are more fibrous so they dont break when you pull them. Quick question though, I heard that putting salt at the roots once youve pulled them stops them growing back? Has anyone tried this with any success?

Horse Girl

Postby Horse Girl » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:10 am

I know the feeling! A few years ago wheni was looking after some horses they were living on a 9 acre field that used to be a landfield site years ago and had been left to grow wild. I am sure you can imagine the amount of ragwort there was - it was everywhere! It took ages to get rid of it all and then when it rained more would appear! I would go out everyday and come back with at least 1 barrow load of ragwort! Very depressing days :(

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:16 am

Our yard would have "ragwort days" which would be combined with strimming all the vegetation away from the electric fencing and everyone would have to take part. It would take all day but we would get it under control temporarily. Not fun, but great for your arm muscles.
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Return to “Feed, forage and supplements”