Embarrassed to wear hi viz

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
Snipper

Embarrassed to wear hi viz

Postby Snipper » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:55 pm

I'm at a small yard and the people are all really friendly. On a dreary day or at this time of year I like to wear hi viz so that I can be seen. We only have to go on a quiet little lane to get to the common, but it is narrow with a blind bend and as there are trees overhanging it can be quite dark on a gloomy day. However, I get really ribbed when I wear them and one of the liveries was telling me how much she hates them and won't ever wear them. To be honest, I think I'm pretty much the only one at the yard who doesn't have an issue with it.

I've seen a lovely hi viz exercise sheet for my horse which has a strap that goes across the front of his chest so oncoming traffic can see him. I really want to get it, as at the moment I only have hi viz items for myself, plus he doesn't have an exercise sheet so it would do both jobs in the winter. However, I feel really embarrassed about getting it for him as I'm already desperately teased for the odd bit I wear at the moment. I can imagine their faces if I brought my horse out of the stable with it on – they'd probably roll around laughing at me.

It seems unfair to be made to feel silly for being safe. It's not like I love them and would choose to wear them over anything else, but I would feel terrible if I didn't put it on because I was embarrassed and then my horse got hit. Does anyone else have this problem? Should I just grow a thick skin and get on with it?

selkie

Re: Embarrassed to wear hi viz

Postby selkie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:12 pm

I hack on a road where more than 3 cars in 10mins counts as rush hour and I wouldn't go out without hi vis. Even if I'm just leading Indy down the road for a bit of a walk.
They are the ones who need to take a look at themselves not you. I'd love a hi vis exercise sheet. So I say go for it. You are keeping yourself out of harm's way. That can only be a good thing.

H&R_Editor

Postby H&R_Editor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:22 am

I would tell your fellow liveries to keep their comments to themselves. Every sensible rider knows that wearing hi-vis gear is an essential part of staying safe. At Horse&Rider we quite often get letters from horse owners who reckon wearing hi-vis gear saved them from being hit - and some write in to tell us that drivers have stopped them to comment on how visible they looked. You and your horse’s safety are the most important things here, so I would develop a thick skin and keep doing what you are doing. As you say, imagine how you would feel if your horse did get hit because you had listened to their comments.

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:26 am

I think if they want to be irresponsible with their horses then let them, but don't change what you are doing because of them! Any of us would be devastated if something happened to our horse on the road, I worry more about that than my own safety. There are enough idiot drivers on the road anyway, lets not give them an excuse to drive badly around horses. Be seen and be safe! (Is that from some kind of ad, it sounds like it).

Ps that exercise sheet sounds fab, where are you going to get it from – now you are!
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

hessy

Postby hessy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:43 pm

i never minded wearing hi-viz but then i kept mine at home.

the thing that i feel self conscious about now is wearing a riding hat when working with horses. for the BHS stage 1 course i am doing we have to wear a hat at all times when working with the horses. i dont mind at the RS because everyone else is doing it but i am going to a friend to practice and i put my hat on and i feel like such a nob.
i do feel safer with it on actually and i think its important that i practice with it on so i get used to it but i just feel like a sore thumb.

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:27 am

I've never handled from the ground in a hat with horses I know, but I have with horses I don't and it does feel odd. I guess, like everything, it just takes a bit of getting used to Hessy. Are you going to continue wearing a hat on the ground after doing your stage one or is the plan just to get used to it for the examination?
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

hessy

Postby hessy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:27 am

Im not sure, i probably will just do it for the exam but ever since i started horse riding and owning i have never wore my hat for handling and really, i think that very few people do - nobody i know that has a horse does. except if its a young horse or something - maybe not even then sometimes.

Lucinda

Postby Lucinda » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:28 pm

I never used to wear hi-vis gear until recently - just because I was a bit lazy about it. Now, however, I won't leave the yard without it!

As for handling horses with a hat on, it can't do you any harm! I've had a few hooves a bit close to my head before now, and recently my horse bashed a lady who was leading her to the field in the head and cut her head open. If she'd had a hat on this wouldn't have happened for sure.

Pharlap25

Postby Pharlap25 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:57 am

I immigrated here from South Africa a few years ago. One day I hacked out on my competition horse for a change to all our training. I went out with about 5 other horses and riders. We were heading back to the yard down a narrow lane when my horse and I were hit by a speeding driver and sent us flying. My horse was put to sleep as she had two broken legs and I have a fractured spine. Over there no one really knows about hi viz so we don't have the opportunity to wear it. I'm pretty certain that if I had I been wearing hi viz that day, the driver would have seen us. I lost my best friend that day and swear i will never ever go out without my hi viz on. I was constanly laughed at and insulted about all my pink hi viz on my mare so I changed to yellow in hope that it would stop. Truth is, it never will stop. Unfortunately some people don't realise the importance of the bright colours until they go through what I went through. I would never wish the tragic experience on anyone which is why I seriously encourage every rider to wear hi viz. x

abbimcg

Postby abbimcg » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:54 pm

I used to not like wearing a Hi-Viz bib and looking back i cant see why?!
There's nothing wrong with it and they are actually very good and can be seen from half a mile a way (helicopter i think :p) so i dont dream of going out on a hack now without one, mainly cos my horse is fairly dangerous on the road so needs to be seen easily.
If people at your yard don't wear them and judge you for wearing them, ignore them because in the end if anything happened to you and or your horse on a hack you will be easier to find and see, much safer :)

Return to “Hacking happiness”