Combined SJ and XC

From preparation and plaiting to coping with show-day nerves! Share your competitive life experiences here
Soraya_H&R_AssistEd

Combined SJ and XC

Postby Soraya_H&R_AssistEd » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Yesterday, I went to my first ever combined showjumping and cross-country competition on our Editor-in-Chief's cob, Harry. Alison was kind enough to lend him to me and he was so good. He definitely deserved the mints I gave him afterwards!

I have never competed at an event like this before and was amazed to see how many people turned up to have a go. It was a great training round, for me rather than Harry, as I hadn't been cross-country in a while. In fact, in the end, it turned out to be the showjumping that was more stressful with lots of tight turns!

Has anyone been to any events like this recently and how did they get on? Everyone seemed to be having a great time and I know I did, too! I did hear some horror stories before I started, of horses galloping down the last stretch of cross-country, missing all the jumps on the way. The last four jumps were downhill and towards the horseboxes and warm-up arena, thank goodness Harry was kind to me!
Follow [url]http://www.twitter.com/HR_insider[/url] for the latest news, gossip and diary dates from the UK's No.1 best-selling equestrian monthly magazine
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1082166_e0beba118d.jpg[/img]

Lucinda

Re: Combined SJ and XC

Postby Lucinda » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Wow, that sounds great fun! Cobs are great fun and really versatile yet safe! I loved your feature in H and R about cobs recently and it reminded me of my lovely cob I had once.

I haven't done combined training, but I used to do cross country on my cob and she was great! I remember she used to try and run out at the first fence as a kind of protest, but once we got over that one we were off. She always looked after me so well.

Are you going again Soraya?

Return to “Competitive life”