Sullivan- I will never forget you.

Sometimes our time with special horses is all too short. Share your memories here
SherrindenFestivity

Sullivan- I will never forget you.

Postby SherrindenFestivity » Wed May 25, 2011 5:28 pm

Before I met Sullivan, I was a very nervous rider, I wouldn't canter without holding on to the saddle, had never done a competition and couldn't jump or do dressage
I started a new riding school and was put on a flighty arab, then they realised I was a nervous rider and put me on the current schoolmaster Sullivan. He was a 15.3hh bright bay gelding who loved his face been scratched. We went from a nervous duo to more than I could have asked from one horse. He taught me how to jump in 2007-8 and then in 2009 when he retired from jumping due to his bad joints, we began focussing on dressage. Everyone always told me I would never win a dressage competition on Sully because he wasn't a dressage horse, he was a showjumper, I was determined to prove them wrong and entered a dressage test last March and we won. It was the first time I had won anything. Sullivan had taken me to my first competition, my first pony camp and was my first ever loan horse. He even saved my life in 2009 which is when even my Dad, who doesn't like horses, knew he was special. I fell off going over a jump and landed face up before Sullivan landed. He saw and managed to land just to side of me, so unbalanced he had to jump straight over me. I had known Sullivan for 4 years and we were so close, he was quite aggressive towards other horses and people and would even jump out of the paddocks and go and wind the other horses up so they all hated him, but he never bit me, or refused a jump. I got a job working for a woman with 7 horses which was perfect because I wasn't progressing in the riding school any more and was never getting to ride Sullivan because he couldn't do too much. Then last year, I decided to leave my old riding school and Sullivan, he'd had a hard competing life and was 21 and his joints were going and I wanteed to remember him as the healthy beautiful horse he was, I couldn't see him go downhill and suffer. Sullivan died a month ago from a laminitus reccurance, I am writing this to show although I love the horses I have now more than anything, SUllivan was totally speciall and I will never forget him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

molly-drop

Re: Sullivan- I will never forget you.

Postby molly-drop » Thu May 26, 2011 9:13 am

that's a lovely story & such a beautiful horse. i am sure he will never be forgotten!

SherrindenFestivity

Re: Sullivan- I will never forget you.

Postby SherrindenFestivity » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:44 pm

Thankyou, he was absolutley stunning with a huge personality, just an absolute star♥

Return to “Horsey memorial”