Riding hats - need a new one?

Get advice on the right gear to buy for yourself and your horse, and offer horsey shopping hints to other riders
Nestar
The SECOND number please: 3

Riding hats - need a new one?

Postby Nestar » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:13 pm

Hello,

I have a riding hat that I have had since I started riding as a pre-teen (apparently I was a child with a large head as it still fits me fine at the age of 25!) It is the velvet, peaked style of hat. I have never fallen off and so the hat has never been put to use.

I was wondering whether it is advisable for me to buy a new hat even thought there is nothing wrong with the one currently own? I have been told that the safety requirements have changed for hats and so new ones are now much thicker and offer better protection?

I am about to go and work on a ranch for 3 months so I am just trying to work out what bits of my riding gear need replacing before heading out there!

Thanks!

Kaliska

Re: Riding hats - need a new one?

Postby Kaliska » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:21 am

Hi Nestar,

Riding hat regulations change quite a lot and the foam impact lining can deteriorate in heat or whilst in storage. I would always recommend replacing riding hats every few years - it's always better to be safe than sorry.

A few of the regulations that have changed since then are chin straps (these used to have chin cups which are no longer allowed), a three-point harness to secure it in place and current hat regulations are EN1384/BSEN1384 which is reviewed every five years and PAS 015 which is reviewed every two years and this is the highest safety standard for riding hats in terms of shock absorbency, penetration and retention.
Riding hats may conform to one or both of the above standards. Hats may also be kitemarked.

Go to a local saddlers with a trained fitter - please check they are trained first as I've seen some right shockers in my time! I trained about 7 years ago and there are so many pitfalls when hat buying!

Nestar
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby Nestar » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:14 am

Hi Kaliska,

Thanks for the reply! I thought I should probably buy a new one but didn't want to do so unnecessarily - now I know I really should!

:)

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:11 am

Absolutely!

Return to “Gear guide”