riding on the road / appropiate ride wear

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
aimeeee!

riding on the road / appropiate ride wear

Postby aimeeee! » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:40 am

[removed]
Last edited by aimeeee! on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greyhorse

Re: riding on the road / appropiate ride wear

Postby greyhorse » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:23 am

Sorry you have had so much trouble - but riding in a 'police-like' jacket is hilarious! Possibly illegal, but very, very funny. And if it keeps you safe on the roads? Go for it. I'd be very careful about confronting people on the road, what if they hurt your horse then, or came back to do something later?

aimeeee!

Postby aimeeee! » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:06 pm

[removed]
Last edited by aimeeee! on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:53 pm

I want one, where did you get it?!

I had a bit of a close encounter once when hacking, I was out with a friend and funnily enough it was some spotty little boy racer in a fiesta with a 6" exhaust. He came flying past, right near a junction and my poor horse freaked out and reared up, I was very lucky to have stayed on, if it weren’t for the fact that he had a huge mane at hands reach I would have been a gonner. Anyway, he calmed down after a few seconds and anxious to get home we carried on. Just round the next corner was the same car that had just flew past us, I was so angry, adrenaline pumping, I trotted up towards the car that was continently stuck in a queue of traffic waiting to pull out of the junction. My friend followed and as I got close to the car I dismounted, handed my reigns to her and legged it towards the car, whip in hand, and banged on the driver’s door! He locked the door and refused to open the window, I was screaming at him (causing a scene a bit by this point) he refused point blank to open door or window, the traffic was beginning to filter down and I was practically chasing the car down the road, in fury I smacked my whip over the bonnet of the car and snapped of his ariel in a last ditch attempt to gain revenge. He drove off & needless to say I didn’t see him again!

I know it’s a bit extreme but these things anger me so much!

As for the nervous horse and training signs, I have to say I agree, It could place you in a place of risk when riding as, if a horse is involved in a road accident its difficult to prove who is responsible when its one word against another.

Another example of this is a hi viz that reads: 'Does my bum look big on this?' OK, great idea and funny, but drivers toot & shout in response = suicide!

greyhorse

Postby greyhorse » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:39 am

Being tuned on hi-vis, I have kept an eye out and seen some nice stuff from Rockfish riders. It looks like it is made for women, fitted and a bit more stylish than the stuff that is made for builders!

www.rockfishriders.com

Return to “Hacking happiness”