road problem

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
nervousnellie

road problem

Postby nervousnellie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:50 am

Hi I am new to this forum. I am an older lady and have recently bought a 13 year old schoolmaster type who is very calm but I am finding that on the country lanes if we meet anything large and rattly eg dustcart, tractor and trailer, caravan, large sided lorry etc he panicks and even if we get into a driveway will run backwards in a panic. I am not the bravest of riders and this is unnerving me. Should I get off or what is the best way of coping with this? I am not always on my own and have a super safe cob with me who will stand still but he will still run backwards. Ideally I know the answer is keep off the road but this is not possible and even though we live in a rural location the chances are there will always be a larger vehicle.

hessy

Re: road problem

Postby hessy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:19 pm

I dont think you should get off. Stay on and stay calm. I am a nervous rider as well and i find that the calmer you can stay then the better. Just try and think 'ok, lets get into a gatway and turn them to face the scary thing, or at least so they can see it, give them a pat, hold your reins firm but not tight, sit up relaxed, look up, chat to someone else or your horse, and position your legs ready to squeeze if he want to go backwards.

If your friends cob is there then it helps if they are in front when there is a scary thing or nearest to the scary thing and then you be behind or on the other side.

I dont think you should stay off the roads. Hacking round the roads is a pleasure and theres no reason why you should stay off them just because your horse doesnt like tractors etc.

When i got my last pony i was scared to go out during the week because it was busier but recently i just jumped on and headed out. All you have to do is think calmly and logically and dont rush and panic.

I hope this helps.

admin
Site Admin

Re: road problem

Postby admin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:53 pm

Attach an identification tab to your saddle with your contact details, yard phone number and tuck your phone in your pocket. Take your time when things get stressy, and try to hack with sensible people and other horses you trust.

I agree that hacking needs to be fun. For the meantime, could you box to a common where there is little or no road work and focus on building your bond and getting to know each other? It might be nicer to focus on what the two of you are good at and enjoy, before tackling any really tricky issues.

Return to “Hacking happiness”