SAYING GOODBYE

Sometimes our time with special horses is all too short. Share your memories here
jimama

SAYING GOODBYE

Postby jimama » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:43 am

A friend of mine is having her horse put down tomorrow and it has caused a lot of controversy at our yard. He's had a life in showjumping, then had an injury which she nursed him through, then he became a very successful dressage horse, going from Prelim to Medium Regionals in just 10 months. He had a hock injury about two years ago, which my friend nursed him through, but now he has ruptured a ligament in his foot which is going to take six months of box rest to put right - he's not allowed out in the field or on the walker, just six months in his stable. As a competition horse, he's used to work - and, more importantly, he loves his work. So box rest is going to do his head in completely. At the end of six months, he'll be reassessed, but there's no guarantee (are there ever with horses?) that he'll be able to be ridden again. So what does she do?

She has decided to call it a day with him, as she can't bear the thought of putting him through six months' box rest, knowing the sort of horse he is. But she's getting absolutely slated for it. We should all be allowed to do what we think is right for our own horse and on this occasion, I think she's making the right decision. What do you all think?

ponyprincess

Re: SAYING GOODBYE

Postby ponyprincess » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:10 am

I think it's difficult to know what the right thing to do is. It sounds like he's had a hard life and maybe it's time to let go. At the end of the day, as is always the case, if you got to the end of the six months and he came out the other side relatively unscathed and sound then everyone would say it was the right decision to keep him going, whereas if it went the other way then everyone would say it was the wrong decision. These are the problems with us making these life or death decisions. It makes me sad to think I'm going to have to do the same with my animals. I've lost a lot of small animals in my time, but when the dog and horse go I will be inconsolable.

Horse Girl

Postby Horse Girl » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:15 pm

Its always hard to say goodbye to a well loved friend. I know when my step nans horse was put down i was distraught even though it was for the best.

I think that at the end of the day as the owner you know your horse the best and after listening to what the vet has to say/ advises i think that you know what is bets for them even if it means making the heart breaking deecision to put them to sleep.

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:34 pm

I was devastated when we made the decision to have my horse put down, and the vet said he might come right but the likelihood was that he wouldn't and that he would suffer. Horrible positions we are put in, but it's the price we pay for the good bits isn't it?
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Lucinda

Postby Lucinda » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:15 pm

I am sure your friend did what she thought was best for her horse, which is the most important thing of all. It's easy for people to criticise when they’re not in that position. However, I do have to say that I am amazed by how free and easy some people (and I am certainly not talking about your friend) seem to be with their horses’ lives! Horses who can't compete anymore or so called difficult horses (only owners are difficult). I feel sorry for horses who end up in the wrong hands, start to misbehave through bad handling or training and are then written off as dangerous and are PTS. As I say, I am in no way referring to your friend, and I have seen lots of people have horses PTS in what I consider to be the right circumstances. You know what livery yards are like - everyone has an opinion lol.

Return to “Horsey memorial”