Scalded whiskers!

Your horsey GP surgery: from worming and vaccination, to mud fever and laminitis
Clairey25
The SECOND number please: 3

Scalded whiskers!

Postby Clairey25 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:58 am

When my sister & I brought our ponies in from the field yesterday, she noticed the long hairs around their muzzles looked as though they been burnt - very puzzling. The hairs were shortened, white and plasticy-looking at the ends and very brittle. They didn't smell burnt but looked it. The ponies were fine in themselves. My pony would be capable of sticking his head in a burning bucket if he thought there could be food inside!! But my sister's pony would not, nor would he let a stranger approach him. The yard owner is also puzzled, as she found all the other horses in the fields were in the same state. No fertiliser has been put down and we can't find anything untoward in the fields. Could a plant be toxic enough to do this? Any advice would be gladly received.

Snipper

Re: Scalded whiskers!

Postby Snipper » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:49 pm

How strange, I've not heard of this before. As all the ponies in the fields have it it sounds like there's something in the grazing or soil.

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:50 pm

How odd? We have had some bizarre turns of weather, so maybe frozen whiskers broken off?

Clairey25
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby Clairey25 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:47 pm

It is weird isn't it? Can't be frozen as they were turned out once the frost has gone from the fields and brought in late afternoon. Thanks for the thought though!

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:44 am

Oh that's really random then! Maybe it is something in the field, or maybe they've deliberately chewed each other's whiskers to confuse you! :D

Return to “GP surgery: health and veterinary chat”