Shaking Legs

Your horsey GP surgery: from worming and vaccination, to mud fever and laminitis
syhorses
The SECOND number please: 3

Shaking Legs

Postby syhorses » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:32 pm

My ISH has suddenly developed a shake in his two front legs when he has his feed in a bucket on the floor. They shake sometimes violently and his leg 'pops' forward as if it is going to buckle. Hes only developed it recently but he always looks as if hes straining and as if he may buckle, he doesnt at all seem bothered about it, is no different in himself and doesnt do it any other time than this but i havent been able to monitor him in the field to see if he does it when grazing. I can feel no lumps, bumps or heat and he doesnt appear to be in pain.
Is it worth while me getting this checked out by a vet and farrier?
He is roughly 17 years old, has had a very hard life and is now in minimal work and barefoot. He is on supplements and oil.
Any advice would be very much appreciated as he's never buckled, or reacted in himself to the shaking but as i say he's never done it before.
Thanks

Snipper

Re: Shaking Legs

Postby Snipper » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:58 pm

I'd say it would definitely be worth getting the vet to have a look, especially as you're still riding him, to make sure he is still safe to ride. Have you thought about feeding him in a bucket that hooks on the door so it's easier for him?

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Definitely get it checked out by a vet, as that sounds very odd.

CookieComeTrue
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby CookieComeTrue » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:55 pm

If it were one of my horses I'd get a vet to have a look ASAP.

Return to “GP surgery: health and veterinary chat”