Shetland pony chatters

Discuss all things horsey - or not - right here!
Yasmin and chico

Shetland pony chatters

Postby Yasmin and chico » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi if you have a shetland pony you can chat on here about them and put things that are really good for them!

PhillyF

Re: Shetland pony chatters

Postby PhillyF » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi,

I have just bought a 2 year old shetland pony. The previous owners have told me that I should only feed him grass until next month and then move onto small amounts of feed and hay. I was then told by a friend that in winter, they should only be fed hay. Does anyone have any advice on which is the best feeding method?

Yasmin and chico

Postby Yasmin and chico » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi i don't have really have advice but there is alot of info on kellas shetland pony pages :D

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:18 pm

How about checking it out with an equine nutritionist? Even if horses only need hay or grass to maintain weight, they might need a vit and min supplement or balancer to make sure they are getting everything they need. I'm sure a nutritionist would be abe to dvise you on what to feed and how much.

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Philly - with a Shetland it may well depend a lot on your quality of grazing as to whether you need to feed or not during the Winter. I think Snipper has a very good point - a nutritionist is a good place to start, or maybe try calling a feed helpline for advice?

Return to “General horsey chat”