Shopping in tack shops...

Size 12 riding boots... A hat that fits properly... Riding schools with man-sized horses... This one's for you, guys!
greyhorse

Shopping in tack shops...

Postby greyhorse » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:02 am

We have a loan horse coming for my husband to ride, and we went to the local tack shop for the 'essentials'. We were able to find a Champion hat that fitted properly, a nice pair of half-chaps (XXL) and gloves! I was worried we weren't going to find anything, so trumps!

steve72

Re: Shopping in tack shops...

Postby steve72 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:51 pm

I have to buy most of my riding gear on-line. I hate the fact that the local tack shops and even the big name home shopping catalouges only have a limited range of mens riding wear. If you go to Germany you have a much wider range. Maybe I'm a expletive, but I like to look good too when I ride and go to the yard, so I buy my Pikeur breeches and Joules tops etc on-line. You look at the Kyra and Anky clothing ranges and there is a good selection for men but no shops sell it! And if you go to a big horsey show - no one sells mens stuff!! All you tack shop people are missing a trick!!

greyhorse

Postby greyhorse » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:46 pm

Have you ever talked to a saddlery shop owner about this? As it turns out, it was the owner helping us on the day we bought all the gear. He said he would be happy to carry more mens stuff, but he thought (with years and years experience) that men made up less than 3% of his customers. Maybe the market is changing? I don't know, but we were able to come away with everything we needed and I had expected much worse!

steve72

Postby steve72 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:34 pm

To be honest I dont really but stuff from tack shops because they're not as price competetive as on-line! Even if they did stock more Men's gear, if you know what you want then it's easier to buy on-line! The only thing I wouldn't buy online though is a hat! Sizes differ from make to make so you need to try before you buy! Although I saw a lovely riding hat at Hickstead, it was carbon fibre, you can have any colour and even have the stitching in any colour - sadly they start at £600.00 !! I said there were too many naughts for my liking Lol!!

confusedrider

Postby confusedrider » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:39 pm

I would like to start buying my own riding clothing (at the moment using hat from the school) but I dont know where to start from. Does anyone know a big tack shop in London where I can have a look? I only found a couple of quite posh shops and I dont feel confortable enough to come in and have a look (again due to my inexperience and poor English)

greyhorse

Postby greyhorse » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:39 am

Hyde Park Stables, in Bathurst Mews, London carries riding essentials, and can sort you out by ordering stuff in. www.hydeparkstables.com

confusedrider

Postby confusedrider » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks. I'll go to have a look!!!

redkitten

Postby redkitten » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:42 am

my bf is just starting to learn and we are trying to find him boots, breeches and hat but beside the scarcity of mens styles we are finding the price of them makes it pointless, everything is 3 times the price of ladies' equipment. he is only starting to learn and doesn't want to spent hundreds of pounds yet.
does anyone know where to find a mens version of the budget ranges? i am nervous of buying from the net as he has never worn riding kit before so we need to try on to find a comfortable fit. could anyone advise?

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:27 am

Try Tesco's direct, I'm sure I've seen an economy mens riding set there! You may be able to find a store local to you that stocks them

redkitten

Postby redkitten » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:06 pm

thanks pukkapony, they only do ladies now, but i'll keep looking.

Return to “Horsey blokes”