Should affiliated competitions have cancelled?

A place to discuss the benefits and advantages
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 am

Should affiliated competitions have cancelled?

Postby Dingbat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:36 pm

I was really shocked to hear that some of the regionals went ahead this weekend despite the snow. It seems irresponsible to expect owners to have travelled their horses in the conditions we had on Sunday regardless of whether the surfaces were rideable at the venue. I think it's disgraceful that the affiliating bodies didn't step in and re-schedule events.

Posts: 521
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Should affiliated competitions have cancelled?

Postby Kaliska » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:42 am

Surely that depends on the area though - some areas had no snow on Sunday and the venue may not have had snow even if the local area did? I suspect they would lose a lot of money if they cancelled/postponed?

Big Brown Horses
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Should affiliated competitions have cancelled?

Postby Big Brown Horses » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Unfortunately it’s a difficult one, but I’ve come to the conclusion there’s a strong possibility of bad weather conditions if you wish to compete at the Winter Regionals! We have had snow or freezing conditions for as long as I can remember at the Winters - and I’m sure in Scotland they compete in far worse conditions.

To re-schedule a regional at short notice would be a logistical nightmare. The regionals have to run during this period for BD’s annual schedule work.

There are six regionals around the country and riders can choose which ones they attend. At each one there are 16 classes, and each class is judged by three higher listed judges (that’s a lot of top judges) who would have been booked well in advance. Many of these judges will also be booked to attend other regionals, so may not be available to re schedule.

Also, there were many competitors who did successfully compete last weekend, they would have been disappointed if it had been cancelled. I checked the forecast earlier in the week, withdraw my entry and re enter another regional and I did hear of several people who asked for their entry to be faxed back to them so that they could re enter another venue.

Well done to all those competitors who made it and good luck to those competing this weekend in Dorset as the forecast is not looking to good again.

Return to “Memberships, associations and clubs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests