SILICON

NAF is a UFAS accredited supplement company, and can help with nutrition and feeding queries
jimama

SILICON

Postby jimama » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:18 am

A friend of mine uses a supplement containing silicon to help maintain joint mobility. Please can you tell me more about it?

Expert_NAF_Nutrition

Re: SILICON

Postby Expert_NAF_Nutrition » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi,
Thank you for your enquiry, and I apologise in my delay in replying but unfortunately I seem to have had the odd email Gremlin over the last couple of weeks! Silicon is an essential ingredient, usually adequately supplied by a balanced diet. I am aware of it's recent use in joint health, but haven't yet seen any research to support that. Unfortunately I am not experienced with feeding silicon for joints to horses. I have some experience of it's use in humans and haven't seen any evidence of efficacy within my, albeit limited, use. Therefore without any firm scientific evidence behind it's use I would be hard pushed to advise it.

Personally I would advise that the best approach to long term joint health is to go with those ingredients proven to support joint health over a huge range of scientific research. Those would be Glucosamine HCl (stronger than the sulphate), MSM and, to a lesser extent, chondroitin sulphate and HA.

One good tip, is to read the label of your chosen product carefully. By law, we as manufacturers are all required to list our ingredients in inclusion order i.e, the largest ingredient comes first. Read the back label and make sure the key ingredients that you're after are at the top of the list. If ingredients such as Dextrose (sugar) or Soya are listed first then you're predominantly paying for filler!

I hope this has answered your question, and I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you further. Any further questions or queries please do contact us again.

Kind regards,

Kate

Kate Jones, NAF
Snr Nutritionist

Return to “NAF Nutritionists”