Sounding off!

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
greyhorse

Sounding off!

Postby greyhorse » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:39 am

My horse gets really wild when he hears horses behind him. We had a few manic moments on the weekend, as it was splashy and he thought he'd better head for the hills. Does anyone put cotton in their horses ears for hacking?

Princessnaynay01

Re: Sounding off!

Postby Princessnaynay01 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:05 pm

My friend I used to ride with put cotton wool in her horses ear and he jumped out of his skin at anything visual. He used to run away from people talking on a ride, but with cotton he tried to run away from everything!

greyhorse

Postby greyhorse » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:43 pm

Ah - not the result I was looking for. I guess he would be sharper visually, and more surprised by things as he wouldn't have heard them before catching sight of them. Back to the drawing board, I guess!

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:29 pm

Maybe design wing mirrors for horses then fill his ears with cotton!?

Not very helpful I know but I do have a sensible suggestion;

Try standing with your horse while others go past it, and asking/making your horse not take off - by repetition, you should be able to eventually eliminate the problem, It may take a bit of time & organization but it may just work.

Return to “Hacking happiness”