Strangles at yard 1/2KM away! Help!

Your horsey GP surgery: from worming and vaccination, to mud fever and laminitis
CookieComeTrue
The SECOND number please: 3

Strangles at yard 1/2KM away! Help!

Postby CookieComeTrue » Tue May 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Some people may be aware of equestrian centre/livery yard/ex-riding school Elms Farm. Currently, it's had a case of Strangles and NO-ONEs allowed onto it. Apparently the infected horse had been there 10 days and was from Ireland.

As it's local, please let me know (if you can):
a) Has there been a case of Strangles in Ireland recently?
b) Should I keep my horses close to home, even though the Elms horses aren't allowed out?

PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS, I DON'T WANT ANYONE'S HORSES TO GET IT!

Kaliska

Re: Strangles at yard 1/2KM away! Help!

Postby Kaliska » Wed May 15, 2013 9:41 am

Elms Farm have updated their website with the following:

Update 5pm Friday 10th May
The horses which were blood tested yesterday have all come back with a negative result, we will retest on Wednesday 22nd May
Just to clear up any concerns people may have about where the horse has gone, it went to the vets yesterday for treatment and was kept in isolation overnight it has now gone back to the yard in Kent where it originally came from
We will not be holding any competitions or events or allowing any visitors until we are completely happy all is well

CookieComeTrue
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby CookieComeTrue » Wed May 15, 2013 9:34 pm

Currently I'm keeping my horses close to our yard, I've not hacked them towards Elms Farm for a fortnight and checking the website daily. There's probably been some mistake of the horses, we were told a horse from Ireland had it and on Friday we got the news.

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Fri May 24, 2013 8:30 am

They did have a horse from Ireland with it which was quarantined and then transferred to the vets. Best to just keep an eye on their website.

Return to “GP surgery: health and veterinary chat”