The Chambon as a credible training aid in modern equitation?

Searching for the right instructor? Need some schooling advice? Share your experiences and ask others for help
admin
Site Admin

The Chambon as a credible training aid in modern equitation?

Postby admin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:01 pm

In the April issue of H&R we discuss the Chambon. A training aid that is designed to prevent the horse from getting his head up high, and inverting in his spine and neck. It encourages the horse to work correctly through his back, lifting his rib cage, stepping under with his hindquarters and using his abdominal muscles.

Does anyone use a Chambon or similar with the training of their horses? Do you find it is effective? Or if you do not use one, why?

Big Brown Horses

Re: The Chambon as a credible training aid in modern equitat

Postby Big Brown Horses » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:34 am

I definitely think there is a place for the Chambon in the right hands and for certain horses. I have never used one myself, but have successfully used an elasticated training rein for a horse that would loose concentration and put his head up – it helped encourage him to stay focused and relaxed.

Dingbat

Re: The Chambon as a credible training aid in modern equitat

Postby Dingbat » Thu May 31, 2012 3:51 pm

Yes, lots of people use them at our yard for that reason, too. I don't personally, but it really seems to keep some horses concentrated on their work. Watching someone lunge badly can be really frightening!

Return to “Lessons and training”