TO PLAIT OR NOT TO PLAIT

From preparation and plaiting to coping with show-day nerves! Share your competitive life experiences here
jimama

TO PLAIT OR NOT TO PLAIT

Postby jimama » Thu May 27, 2010 10:59 am

I know you don't have to plait for unaffiliated dressage, but what about for affiliated classes?

#HorsesRock#

Re: TO PLAIT OR NOT TO PLAIT

Postby #HorsesRock# » Mon May 31, 2010 4:46 pm

I just checked on the BD website and it says there are no rules that say you have to plait your horse for affilated dressage but most people do because it can really improve the judge's first impressions

cloudybay

Postby cloudybay » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:35 pm

The appearance of the horse and rider is all part of the overall picture and makes an initial impression on the judge. I know there are a few judges out there who think it is an insult if the rider does not plait and so I would always make the effort.

mja

Postby mja » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:09 am

Yeah its no compulsory but I agree it gives a better impression. A judge told ur club in a demo once that he as a judge would be put off seeing a horse not turned out well as it looks like the rider hasnt made any effort. Plaiting helps them to see the neck easier too which they like.

H&R_Editor

Postby H&R_Editor » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:28 am

I think as well as improving the judge's impression , the rider feels more confident if they have done everything they can to look their best. If your horse is all plaited up and smart, you’ve cleaned your tack and polished your competition clothes then you will go to the show feeling more confident. That will help you to give your best performance.

jimama

Postby jimama » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:02 pm

Yes, that's what I think. I've been practising the really chunky plaits as I think they look fab, but your horse's mane has to be pretty long to start with – and even in length. In fact, my dressage trainer actually admits to taking a pair of scissors to her horse's mane to get that even-ness. Shock horror!

littlehorse

Postby littlehorse » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:15 am

I personally prefer to plait as it looks smarter. Also I have heard that it is polite to plait for the judge.

Return to “Competitive life”