Trotting on the road

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
greyhorse

Trotting on the road

Postby greyhorse » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:09 am

Do you do it?

Kaliska

Re: Trotting on the road

Postby Kaliska » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:12 am

Absolutely! It's never crossed my mind not to. I suppose the concussive forces going up my horse's legs must be slightly bad, but we dont go on roads that often, so I dont think it can be that different to the concussion of galloping around a baked-hard field?

Lucinda

Postby Lucinda » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:36 pm

Someone once told me you shouldn't trot up hills because it's really bad for the horse's sacroiliac joint. Walk or canter only, I was told. Also, someone else once told me that the best way to strengthen a horse's lower legs is to do short bursts on different surfaces, so maybe some trotting on the roads can help. I always make sure I keep it slow and the surface has to be good, so that they don't slip.

drache

Postby drache » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:29 pm

Lots and Canters too sometimes....!! My pony is Barefoot though and concussion is minimal.

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:22 pm

Yes, I tend to only trot on flat, never down or uphill if I can avoid it. However, I only take my horse out hacking once a week for 3 hrs max and we only tend to spend 50% of the time we are out on roads, I try to vary the terrain as much as possible. He is shod on all 4 feet at this moment however I am having his backs taken off to minimize concussion (and costs!) as back shoes is not something I see as necessary for a happy hacker.

hessy

Postby hessy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:22 pm

I would trot on the roads but never canter. However, i mainly stick to walking but thats because im lazy and i like plods round the road lol!! I heard that trotting uphill was better for them as it takes the weight off their front legs. I trot uphill and on the flat and on slight slopes downwards if i feel capable of staying secure and in control.

cloudybay

Postby cloudybay » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Never ever! I haave had two horses throw splints as a result of a trotting on the road session and now I would never do it again.

H&R_Editor

Postby H&R_Editor » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:37 pm

I think the key is to build up slowly to anything you do with your horse. Horses throw splints and get tendon injuries quite often because their legs haven't been prepared properly. An unfit horse needs to do plenty of walking in straight lines and then large circles to get the muscles and tendons fit for the job. If all this is in place then short bursts of trot on the road is unlikely to cause too much damage - obviously this varies from horse to horse. When I worked with event horses we used to trot them on the road a lot because their legs had to be able to withstand galloping on hard ground. If you're not an event rider and don't need your horse to do lots of fast work on hard ground then it's probably not worth taking any risks.

horse_girl

Postby horse_girl » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:44 am

I agree, Nicky. So many people bandage their horses up to the eyeballs, wrap them up in support boots and then wonder why their horse can't cope with hard surfaces. It's all about slow, gradual roadwork to build up not just the muscles and tendon strength, but bone as well. Many people forget that bone adapts to work, and roadwork is a great one for this. Obviously start slow, but build it up and trotting on the roads shouldn't have to be a no-no. I've worked with top event horses and we took all of them trotting out on the roads.

mja

Postby mja » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:31 pm

No because I have one with arthritis and another with a splint. I used t when younger with my hardier pony as only had roads to ride on in winter and she never had an trouble. I think it depends on the horse.

I wouldnt nw I know more about the concussion when shod and hearing a top vet say not to but then I dont ride in hard fields either.

Return to “Hacking happiness”