What age should you stop breeding at?

Talk studs, breeding, broodmares and foals
pukkapony

What age should you stop breeding at?

Postby pukkapony » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:48 pm

I'm considering getting a 14 yr old Welsh A brood mare. She's had 4 foals in the last 6 years (i'm told) the last 3 of which have been very happy healthy babies.

Her current owner has stressed of her breeding potential (not why I would like to buy her, but something to consider) but in my personal opinion 14 is a bit old to foal surely?

What do other people think on this? I had a look on google and 16 seems to be a well suggested age but I did come across someone who foals actively from 24 - 26 yr old mares still!!!

hessy

Re: What age should you stop breeding at?

Postby hessy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:19 pm

I know nothing about breeding but I wouldnt think there would be anything wrong with breeding in their teenage years certainly (perhaps not so much into their 20's) as long as the horse is fighting fit and healthy. Good care will ensure that broodmares last longer and are still healthy and fit in their retirement.

TheRhubarbTart

Re: What age should you stop breeding at?

Postby TheRhubarbTart » Sun May 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Funnily enough, I was researching this yesterday as I met a guy who was breeding from his 26 year old pure bred connemara mare. Apparenly, the chance a mar has to carry a foal full term is 75% up the the age of around 15, and late teens, early twenties, it drops to 55%. If you decide to buy, get your vet to scan the mare, and they'll be able to tell you if she's ovulating regularly, if there's any undesirable bacteria in her uterus, and if she should be ok to continue breeding.

Return to “Studs, breeding, broodmares and foals!”