What boots for what?

Get advice on the right gear to buy for yourself and your horse, and offer horsey shopping hints to other riders
greyhorse

What boots for what?

Postby greyhorse » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:52 am

I see lots of horses with lots of different things on their legs (or nothing). What do you put on your horse's legs and does it depend on what you are up to?

Shires Equestrian

Re: What boots for what?

Postby Shires Equestrian » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Well, there are specific boots that are designed for specific activities, such as tendon boots for show jumping for example but a huge deciding factor in what people use on their horses is personal preference. Here's a few types of boot and their uses...
Over Reach Boots- good for jumping as they help to protect the bulb of the heel should the horse over reach and catch this.
Tendon Boots- helps to protect the horse's tendons should the horse's hind hooves come into the contact with the tendon area. A lot of tendon boots have open fronts- this is so that the horse can feel if they touch a pole when jumping.
Brushing Boots- good for all round schooling, hacking and can be used when jumping too. These boots usually surround the whole of the horse's lower leg and feature some sort of strike pad on the inside of the boot to help protect the inside of the horse's leg should they rub or 'brush' when working.

Does this help?

horse_girl

Postby horse_girl » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:48 pm

You can get sport boots and wraps too, which have the same supportive effect of exercise bandages but without the hassle!

littlehorse

Postby littlehorse » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:57 pm

I used a sausage boot on one of my old horses. It is placed on one of hind leg and sits around the pastern. It stop him from knocking his other pastern woth his hoof. The reasn he did this was he as close behind.

Return to “Gear guide”