What is your standout hacking memory?

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
Soraya_H&R_AssistEd

What is your standout hacking memory?

Postby Soraya_H&R_AssistEd » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:44 pm

I remember, when I was much younger, taking my horse out with my friend and her pony. We used to ride out onto the forestry commission land, go to the furthest point possible, turn our horse and pony in circles and let them go to see if they could find their way home! (They always could.) We would chat the whole way and be out for hours. If only I still had that much time!
Follow [url]http://www.twitter.com/HR_insider[/url] for the latest news, gossip and diary dates from the UK's No.1 best-selling equestrian monthly magazine
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1082166_e0beba118d.jpg[/img]

selkie

Re: What is your standout hacking memory?

Postby selkie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:12 pm

When I was at summer camp I was out on the final trail ride on my baby, Big Red (the only English riding horse in a Western herd). He was a complete star (I had a bad fall at the beginning of summer and Red gave me my confidence back) because I ended up spending most of the ride facing the wrong way to comfort the camper behind me. I'm not sure why she wanted to do such an intensive weekend of horse riding and care (for a badge, it was Girl Scout camp) but she hated riding and was on the sweetest (read slowest) pony we had.
At the end of the ride I had to say goodbye to some of my best friends and to Red. If I could go back in time... I'd go back to then. :)

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:35 pm

I remember taking my horse out after he hadn't been ridden for three months onto a moor (it was the only place near where he was turned away that you could ride). He took one look at the wild ponies and stood up! It scared me half to death at the time but it would have made a great photo.
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Horse Girl

Postby Horse Girl » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:00 pm

When i used to look after some horses me and my frienfd would often use the same bridleway which happened to run alongside a pub. Sometimes on hot days we would go into the pub car park and get a drink and share with the horses! On one occassion we we had ridden along the bridleway but were not actually stopping in the pub except my horse had other ideas! he took me off down the drive way at a very fast walk and parkd him self on a patch of grass and would1t budge much to the amusement of the customers!

No matter what i tried to do he just would`t move he was adamant he was goinjg in the pub and that was that! Eventually my friend rode off out of site and beacuse he didn`t like to be left on his own he followed but it was really embarrassing!

ponyprincess

Postby ponyprincess » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Haha! I remember going on a picnic ride and it was my first proper long hack when I was a kid. We went for a gallop up the side of a field and there were kids falling off all over the place. I was so proud I stayed on. Then we had lunch under some trees and let the horses graze. It was fab (for those of us who didn't fall off anyway!)

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:48 pm

I remember having a canter on a long path on the common with a friend. It soon turned into a gallop and we just couldn't pull up. We ended up having to shout to dog walkers on the path that we couldn't stop and one lady jumped into a bush to get out of our way! There was a tree at the end which we had to keep circling until we could stop them. We were laughing so much that we went to jelly which wasn't helping us pull them up! If only I found horses behaving badly so funny these days!!

nikkiJ

Postby nikkiJ » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:47 am

My favourite hacking memory was when i was 16,when my riding school took us out on a hack across the scrub feilds. My lovely horse (who in the school was quite hard work, typicall riding school plod) just came alive! we cantered to the top of the feild and then galloped down the gentle slope, the horses and ponies had a whale of a time!
With my favourite horse, in the beautifull sunshine,with good friends...I cant think of any better way to spend an afternoon :)

anna_banana*

Postby anna_banana* » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Unfortunately most of my standout hacking memories are pretty negative! I do remember one time a few summers ago when I used to hack with my old riding instructor. We used to go on one route that if there were cows on the way we had to take a longer detour. There used to be one part that was just like some gallops so we would! The pony I was riding was less than 13 hands and at the time I was about 5ft4 thankfully he was a weight carrier, and we would normally canter there, but one day he decided we were galloping - and once he started, you couldn't stop him - so after the initial shock, it was a case of just giving up and enjoying it! It was one of those moments that you never forget!

molly-drop

Postby molly-drop » Tue May 24, 2011 3:30 pm

I remember not too long ago, taking a friend of mine out for a hack with me on a pony we are bringing back into work, and another fairly nervous lady. I was on the new mare who had only just turned 5, my friend on Ebony the naughty chap we are bringing back into work & the other lady was on my lovely boy!
We set off on a fairly simple route, usually about an hour in total, However, not today, first off we decided to try a new route - bad idea! Took the wrong turning, ended up miles away, in a little Village called Burpham, we tried to carry on through the village hoping to discover a bridle path, However we didn't, we ended up right outside Arundel Castle itself. By this time, we had over scheduled the hack by about 40 minuets so we decided the most sensible thing to do was to go back on ourselves and so we did. However when we got to the valley that would lead us back up to the farm track on the way home, the lady who was rather nervous didn't want to trot up the hill to the gate, and it was a very steep hill, which required you to trot up to help the horses' back. However she stopped half way and wouldn't. So my friend and I decided to go in front and meet her at the top and for us more experienced riders, a cheeky little gallop up the hill was a MUST! so off i went, she put her head down and let loose, my friend close behind, however when i stopped to get to the gate at the top, she didn't stop so fast, and went right over her ponies head, one of the funniest rides i had ever been on. took us 3 and a half hours in the end...

CookieComeTrue
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby CookieComeTrue » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:21 pm

1. Riding to the newsagents for H&R, PONY and some chocolate!
2. Falling off into a fence and breaking my arm!
3. Last hacks with old friends - horses here(I still ride with my human friends).
4. Gallops in front of Moulton Collage.
5. Falling off in the rain!

Return to “Hacking happiness”