what to wear?

From preparation and plaiting to coping with show-day nerves! Share your competitive life experiences here
BeckyCuckoo

what to wear?

Postby BeckyCuckoo » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi there,
I'm just returning to riding after a long, long time and am taking my new horse to a show on Sunday. Probably I'll do no more than jump the practice fence, have a bacon roll and hack home. But I might - if the fences are low enough - attempt Working Hunter and/or something like Best Combination. Question is, how dressed up do you have to be these days? It's a very, very small local show.
I've got a tweed jacket, stock and pale jods, but my long boots have disintegrated. Would it be a total no-no to turn up in short boots and chaps (which is what I usually wear) and should I really have a proper show jacket? What about gloves - and a stick? - and does it have to be a proper riding hat or will a skull cap and silk do? As I've just set myself up with new horse, new grooming kit, tack etc I am SKINT so would rather not lash out zillions at the tack shop tomorrow, especially as I'm just going along for the experience. Thanks guys, sure I can count on you all to have some good Trinny n Susannah advice for me!

greyhorse

Re: what to wear?

Postby greyhorse » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:40 pm

How exciting to have a new horse after a long break! Could you call the organiser and ask them what the tone for the dress code is likely to be? No matter what, you are going there for some mileage, so I suggest you work with what you've got and really turn up the volume on some of the finer (and free!) points of turnout: spotless, perfectly trimmed and gleaming horse, shiny buckles, mirror-like tack and lovely plaits, if they are suitable for your horse. Good luck and keep us posted!

greyhorse

Re: what to wear?

Postby greyhorse » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:10 am

Did you go?

Return to “Competitive life”